MERETT S. JEWELL
Physician and surgeon, Little York, Sumner Township ; descended from two old families of the State of New York , was born at Monmouth, Ill., October 14, 1873 . His parents were Charles and Anna (Townson) Jewell. Charles Jewell, who was born in Lenox Township, Warren County , Ill., was a son of Jacob and Julia (Brooks) Jewell. Anna Townson was a daughter af Aaron and Frances (Schofield) Townson. Jacob Jewell, Doctor Jewell's grandfather in the paternal line, came west in 1834, and settled in Berwick, where he prospered as a farmer, and whence he removed, late in life, to Monmouth, where he died
. Charles Jewell was reared to the life of a farmer and acquired a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in his native township of Lenox , where he died at the age of thirty-six years. His widow is living at Monmouth. Doctor Jewell obtained his English and classical education at Burlington Institute, Burlington, Iowa, and, after reading medicine, took the prescribed course in medicine at the Louisville Medical College, Louisville, Ky. After taking a post-graduate course at Beilevue Hospital Med ical College , N. Y.. he was for some time engaged in hospital work in that city.
He began his career as a family physician at Olena, Henderson County , in 1898, remaining there about a year and a half. After that (1900) he located at Little York, where he entered upon a very successful practice and where he is now (1902) performing the duties of village health officer.
He was married October 10, 1900, at Burlington, Iowa, to Miss Minnie Blake, who was born at Iowa City, February 8, 1876, a daughter of Melville and Nancy (Graham) Blake, Mrs, Jewell's father, who is a lawyer and a member of the firm of Blake & Blake, of Burlington , is a son of Henry Blake, a Scotchman, who settled at Morning Sun. Iowa, and became a prosperous farmer there. Doctor Jewell is an accomplished, up to date physician and surgeon, who keeps abreast of the times and is regarded as one of the most progressive medical men in his part of the State.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved