Farmer and stock-raiser, Spring Grove Township, Warren County, Ill., (postoffice, Gerlaw), a pioneer and son of a pioneer of Illinois, was born in a log house, went to school in a log house and lived in a log house until 1854, when he built his present residence. He is of Scotch-Irish extraction, a son of Robert and Maria (Pilgrim) Gilmore. His father was born in Chester County, Penn., in 1783, his mother in Ohio, in 1798; they both died in Illinois, he in 1857, she in 1840. Ephraim Gilmore, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, fought for American independence in the Revolutionary War, and his fath er, Robert Gilmore, served under General Har rison In the War of 1812-14, as Captain and later as Colonel, for a time holding a position as staff officer.
Robert Gilmore was by trade a tanner and was for some years in business in Ohio. He came to Warren County in 1833, bringing his family and their belongings down the Ohio and up the Mississippi, arriving at Oquawka, Henderson County, in June of that year. From thence he came on to Spring Grove Township and entered a claim to land in Section 25, which he eventually sold in order to buy the southwest quarter of Section 24, on which he erected his second log house in Warren County, which was his home until he died.
Lawrence H. Gilmore, the son, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, April 11, 1830, and was a little more than three years old when his parents emigrated to Illinois. He received a com mon school education and, in 1851, preempted a claim in Section 34, Spring Grove Township, to secure which he was obliged to borrow most of the purchase money. He now owns about one thousand acres of good land and is an extensive breeder of cattle, horses and hogs. A Democrat in politics, he is influential in township affairs, and has been Road Commissioner twelve years, Supervisor, and twenty-seven years Treasurer of the Warren County Insurance Company. He has for many years been trustee and elder in the Presbyterian Church at Monmouth, with which he united in 1856, his wife becoming a member in 1852. He was formerly for many years a trustee of the Warren County Library.
Mr. Gil more was married in Spring Grove Township, November 9, 1854, to Sarah A. Forwood, who was born in Harford County, Maryland, July 19, 1831, a daughter of William W. and Sarah T. (Gilbert) Forwood. Mr. Forwood settled in Spring Grove Township in 1838, and went to California in 1850. where he died in 1853.
Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore have had children born to them as follows: Clarence M., Frederick L., Frank E., George F. Rosa L., and Sarah B., and they have a bound daughter, Anna E. Ebbers, who has lived with them since 1887. Frederick L. married a daughter of Schuyler Palmer; Clarence M. married Jessie Herbert; George F. married Annis Elliott. Frederick L. lives in Monmouth, Clarence M. near that city, and George F. and Sarah B. in Omaha, Neb.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved