A well known farmer and stock raiser and substantial citizen of Greenbush Township, Warren County, was born in Sullivan, Madison County, N. Y.. September 16, 1819, the son of Asa and Huldah (Wilford) Woods, and a grandson of Samuel Woods. His maternal grandparents were John and Ann (Blackstone) Wilford. His father was born in Salem, Mass., January 2, 1791: his mother in New Haven County, Conn., and her father in the same State.
Ebenezer W. Woods received his education in the district school and was married January 6, 1852, in Greenbush Town ship, to Rosa M. Butler, by whom he has had eight children. Mrs. Vi :ocds was born in Gallia County, Ohio, January 6, 1830, and was the daughter of Col. John and Mary (Adney) Butler, both natives of what is now Greenbrier County, W. Va., where he was born July 26, 1802, and she November 12, 1804. They were married April 26, 1822. In October, 1839. they removed West, and settled near Greenbush. Warren County. He became a very extensive farmer and land-owner, at one time being the proprietor of 1,300 acres of land.
His last years were spent at Avon, where he was killed by being run over by a team. During the civil war he was Colonel of the Eighty-fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, doing valuable service in Indiana and Ohio. His father built Fort Recovery for General Wayne. In 1835 Ira Woods, a brother of Asa Woods, came to Fulton County and bought a tract of land for the family, on part of which Avon has since been established, to which Asa Woods brought his family to make a home the following year.
This land cost the Woods brothers a dollar and a quarter an acre, and is now among the most valuable farming lands in the State. Asa Woods died, August 4, 1854; and his wife, March 27, 1867. Ebenezer Woods, who was eighteen years old at the time his parents sought their western home, accompanied them on the slow and toilsome journey, that required forty-two days for its completion.
He learned the carpenter trade in 1842, but has been a farmer all his life, beginning with the cultiva tion of a portion of the original tract his father and uncle had bought, purchasing at a later period 140 acres in Section 2, and is at the present time an extensive land owner. His has been an industrious and useful life, in which he long served the public as a School Director. Of his marriage with Rosa M. Butler were born children: Ezra, Willis R., Ellen. John A., Edwin Stanton, Sarah B.. Minnie C. and Alice, who is dead.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved