Coldbrook is the second from the north in the east tier of townships in Warren County.
It consists of broad rolling prairies, with some broken and well timbered land along Talbot and Cedar creeks, which, with their branches, water the township. The farms are large and productive, and their owners as a rule are prosperous and happy. Much attention is paid to stock-raising, which is a profitable industry here. The main line of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railway passes through the township from east to west close to its southern boundary line: and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad crosses the southeast corner, entering the township at Cameron and going out on the east on Section 24.
The township was organized April 4. 1854. Philip Horney was moderator of the town meeting and Joseph Stewart was clerk. The election resulted in the choice of the following as the first officers of the township: Supervisor, Benjamin F. Morey; Town Clerk, J. S. Parker: Assessor and Collector, James McFarland: Justices of the Peace. Andrew Claycomb, B. F. Morey: Highway Commissioners, W. H. H. Claycomb, T. F. Taylor, B. S. Parker.
The present officers are: Supervisor, George Bruington; Town Clerk, Charles E. Britt; Assessor, C. A. Law; Collector, F. F. Foster: Highway Commissioners, Worden Davis, William Fair. S. A. Ryner; Justice of the Peace, Thomas Griffee; Constable, George Higgle.
Those who have served the township as supervisors to the present time, with the dates of their service, are: Benjamin F. Morey, 1854; Philip Horney, 1855; W. H. H. Claycomb, 1856: Philip Horney, 1857: W. H. H. Claycomb, 1858: Henry Murphy. 1859: W. H. H. Claycomb. I860; james McFarland, 1861-62: L. M. Gates. 1863-64; H. Murphy. 1865: Philip Horney. 1866; J. R. Barnett, 1867-70: L. M. Gates, 1871-73; J. T. Hartman. 1874-75; Philip Horney, 1878; J. T. Hartman, 1877-86: George Bruington, 1887-92.
The assessment lists for 1901 show in the township at that time 911 horses, 2,568 cattle, 35 mules and asses, 322 sheep and 2,831 hogs. The total value of personal property in the township was $213,070, and the assessed valuation $42,614. The assessed valuation of lands was $244,705, and of lots $2,115.
The population of the township in 1900 was 928, a loss of eight since 1890.
Past and Present of Warren County
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved