CHARLES J. ANDERSON
Anderson whose honorable and successful career in this country is a good illustration of the worth of pluck, energy, character and integrity in a strange land, was born in Sweden April 19, 1849, the son of Andrew J. and Hannah (Camp) Anderson, both of whom were natives of the Scandinavian Peninsula. His maternal grandfather was a soldier in the Swedish army, and the entire family among the better people of the home land.
Charles J. Anderson came to the United States, by way of Quebec, where he landed May 9, 1869. For a short time he worked in Iowa, and then came to Ellison Township, Warren County, September of the same year, where he has since resided. He was employed by the month at farming, and also was employed at different times as a carpenter until May 9, 1878, when he married Miss Rella Greenlee, adopted daughter of Calvin Thompson, who presented her with eighty acres of land which became the foundation of a. substantial fortune.
Mr. Anderson and his wife now own a fine farm of 435 acres, on which he has built a house with all the modern improvements, including steam heat, and a basement cellar under the entire structure, involving an expense of over $7,000, being one of the four finest residences in the county. Mr. Anderson feeds and raises stock on a very extensive scale, has been Road Commissioner and School Director. He is a Democrat and belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mr. Anderson was married in Ellison Township, May 9, 1878, to Rella Greenlee, born in Henderson County, Ill., September 13, 1858, the daughter of Robert J. and Martha (Downes) Greenlee. She was reared in the home of Calvin Thompson. To this union have come the following children: Emil C., born January 23, 1879; Robert H., born May 23, 1880; George C., born May 18, 1882; James G., born January 31, 1884; Arthur C., born January 22, 1886; Maggie May, born October 6. 1888; Wilbur R., born February 26, 1891;Frank A., born April 23, 1893; Walter H., born
March 27, 1896, and Thompson P., born July7, 1900.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved