Tazewell County



If you are looking for the Surname beginning with the letter:



Pekin Daily Times, Nov. 12, 1928

Resident of East Bluff for Thirty Years Died Today

Adolph Faux, a resident of the East Bluff for 30 years, died at his home this morning at 7 o'clock.  He was a son of John and Zella LaGrand Faux and was born at Provane, France May 17, 1879.  His marriage was to Zelia Beharrelle.

He was a miner by occupation, a member of the United Mine Workers local and previous to his last illness was employed at the mine of Crescent Coal company.  He is survived by three sons, Adolph, Paul and Alfred Faux, one daughter, Mrs. Florence Robinson and the following brothers and sisters; John and Charles Faux, Roanoke; August and Frank Faux, Mrs. Julius Buff, Mrs. August Warrenburg, and Mrs. Rosa Freeman, Pekin, and Mrs. Gertie Charles, Missoula, Mont.

The body was taken to the Noel funeral home, where friends may call.  funeral services will be held at the funeral home Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock and interment will be in Lakeside cemetery.


Transcribed and donated by Carole Hill Martin

Back to Index


Pekin Daily Times, Sept. 10, 1946

Adolph Faux Killed in Motorcycle-Train Crash; Saves Woman's Life

Adolph Faux, 45, foot of Charlotte street, died last night when his motorcycle crashed into the side of a southbound Chicago and North Western railroad freight train in Orchard Mines at 8:17 p.m.

Traumatic amputation of both legs below the knees resulted in severe bleeding.  An autopsy was performed by dr. L. F. Teter this morning.

Mrs. Mary Dilts, 22, of the Roberts Hotel, Canton, who was riding on the motorcycle with Faux, escaped serious injurey in a last heroic action by the victim.

Faux, an expert motorcyclist, saw the train at the last minute and maneuvered the cycle in a effort to slow its speed and avert the crash.  When he saw that the efforts wouldn't succeed, he hurled Mrs. Dilts from the machine just before the cycle crashed into the train.

Snaps Coupling

Force of the collision snapped a coupling between two of the freight cars, separating the train into two sections.  Apparently Faux was hurled under the wheels of one of the cars.

Following the tragedy the motorcycle was lying on the left shoulder of the road.  Faux was lying nearby.  He is believed to have lived a short time after the accident, but upon his arrival at the Pekin hospital at 8:55 p.m., was pronounced dead by Dr. Nelson A. Wright, Jr.

Mrs. Dilts was taken to the Pekin hospital, where she is being treated for severe cuts and bruises.

First Ride

According to Mrs. Dilts, she had been visiting in Pekin together with a group of friends. They met Faux and in the course of their conversations, she told him she had never ridden on a motorcycle.  When she and her friends were ready to return to Canton by automobile, Faux offered to let Mrs. Dilts ride as far as Orchard Mines on the motorcycle.

The others of Mrs. Dilts party followed them in the automobile, according to the report.

The accident came as the motorcycle neared Orchard Mines on the dike road running west from Pekin.  there is no electric signal at the crossing and apparently Faux did not see the freight train that was crossing the highway until it was too late to avoid the crash.

Didn't Know Speed

Mrs. Dilts said that she thought they were traveling at about 35 miles an hour, but could not see the speedometer.

Immediately, after the crash, members of Mrs. Dilts' party who were in the car following the motorcycle rushed her to the Pekin hospital.

Among the law enforcement officers reaching the scene were State Patrolman Anthony Trunk and Pekin Police William King and Roy Cobb.  Trunk phoned Peoria for an ambulance and the Pekin police phoned Pekin.  Faux was picked up by the Kuecks ambulance of Pekin and taken to the Pekin hospital.

Cycle Wrecked

The motorcycle was completely wrecked.  The engine was torn loose from the frame.  Tire marks on the pavement revealed the skidding action Faux had employed in his effort to stop the machine.

Faux was an ironworker.  His wife, Mrs. Gertrude Faux said that he had left home at about 6:30 o'clock last night to go to the river where he had a boat.

Mrs. Dilts is employed as a waitress in a Canton coffee shop.

The inquest into the death of Faux has been set for 2 p.m. Monday by Dr. Charles Nelson, coroner.

Funeral services will be Thursday, at 2 p.m. at Kuecks Funeral home.  Faux was born July 31, 1901 in Roanoke, the son of Adolph and Zlelis Faux.  He married Gertrude Mathias June 8, 1941 in Hannibal, Mo. Faux was a member of the Eagles club and Iron Workers union, local 112, Peoria.  He had been working at the George D. Johnson Co.

Faux is survived by his widow; one son, Robert; his mother, Mrs. Zlelis Faux; two brother, Alfred Faux, Indiana, and Paul Faux, Pekin; and one sister, Mrs. Joe Loougher, East Peoria.


Transcribed and donated by Carole Hill Martin

Back to Index


Home Biographies Brick Walls Cemeteries
Early Settlers Family Web Sites Military Obituaries
Photographs Schools Surnames


Information/pictures contained on these pages may be printed out for personal use, but
may not be copied and posted to another website.

Copyright Bill Wilson & all contributors
All rights reserved