Funeral services for Hal F.
Miller , 59, well known farmer and former business man in Toulon for many years,
were held at 2 o’clock Saturday from Kidd Funeral home.
Community was shocked at noon Thursday to hear of his
sudden death from a heart attack at his farm three miles west of the city.
Work was just completed where he had been feeding
stalks into a corn chopper. The tenant farmer, Tom Homer, had just shut off the
tractor and Mr. Miller reached to take off the belt when he suddenly threw up
his hands and slumped to the ground.
Death was instantaneous. Deputy Corner Robert Dunlap,
of Bradford held an inquiry Thursday afternoon with the physician’s report given
the cause of death coronary occlusion.
Built Building Additions
Mr. Miller entered business life here in 1929 after
working for three years with his brother, J. S. Miller, in a hardware store in
Firm of Miller & DeBord was formed with Charles I.
DeBord, who also had been working in Wyoming and the two previously acquainted
when they has worked in Princeville.
Plumbing and tinning business with a small hardware
stock was opened in a small building located at the east side of where the
present picture show building is located. Business expanded and in 1931 they
moved to the large brick building on door east, which Mr. Miller purchased,
using only part of the building.
In 1935 the Miller & DeBord firm was dissolved, Mr.
DeBord opening a new plumbing and heating business and hardware with Mr. Miller
continuing to operate Miller’s hardware in the same building.
Business continued to expand and he took over the
entire building. Later he built a large addition at rear of the building for a
garage and extra storage space.
He sold the business tin 1944 to his brother, J. S.
Miller, which was later sold to another brother, P. D. Miller with the name
continuing as Miller’s Hardware until 1954 when Mr. and Mrs. James Durbin bought
the business. Hal F. Miller continued to own the building.
Mr. Miller opened Miller Motor Sales at the corner of
East Main and Miller streets with the construction of a new service station
completed in January, 1945. In the fall of that year he completed construction
of a large garage addition 50 feet in length and 46 feet in width for garage
shop work and storage. He sold the Ford Agency and garage business to Harold
Settles in November,1948.
Since then he has engaged in farming three miles west
of this city making many improvements. He continued to reside in this city,
driving to the farm each day.
Was Active In Other Field
When he first came here Mr. Miller operated Hal
Miller’s Royal orchestra for several years, which was a top ranking band in its
Appointed to fill a vacancy as supervisor of Toulon
township, her served for three years on the Stark County Board of Supervisors
and served as chairman for one year.
He was a member of the Toulon Fire department for a
number of years and also served as alderman from the First ward in the City
Council for several years. He was a member of Toulon Masonic lodge.
Interment Is At Manlius
Funeral services Saturday were in charge of Rev. Henry
A. Campbell, pastor of Toulon Congregational church. Organ selections were
played by Mrs. Dwain M. Wallace.
Pall bearers were Merle Kerns, Oliver T. Murray, Paul
Armstrong, F. B. Brian, Frank p. Kromphardt and Charles I. DeBord.
Was Born At Manlius
Harold F. youngest son of David L. and Elizabeth Bowen
Miller was born January 13, 1896 at Manlius where he grew to manhood. Death
occurred suddenly September 8, 1955, at his farm west of Toulon at the age of 59
years, seven months and 25 days.
He was married January 6, 1919, to Bernice May and they
resided at Manlius, Princeville and Wyoming before coming to Toulon where they
have resided since 1929.
Surviving are his wife and two sons David, of Glen
Ellyn, who is assistant principal of Glenbard High school and Roger of Toulon,
who operates Miller’s T-V service and five grandchildren.
Also surviving are two sisters, Mrs. Bertha Wiley of
Moline and Mrs. Dorothy Graham of Manlius; and four brothers, Perry D. Miller,
of Sterling; Don and Bert Miller of Manlius and J. Stewart Miller of Princeton.
Preceding him in death were his parents and an infant