Even before the close of the war, measures were taken for the erection of a monument to commemorate those who lost their lives in the service of their country, and the sum of $2.000 was appropriated for that purpose.
A committee was appointed to procure plans and make all necessary arrangements for its erection in a suitable place ; but after fully considering the matter it was thought best to defer action for a time. The money was drawn, however, and loaned out, thus accumulating interest. In March, 1867, the committee having the matter in charge reported that they thought the time had come when aclion should be taken.
They were instructed to proceed with the work. Accordingly, plans were secured and the work commenced, resulting in the handsome monument now standing in the Court-House Square. On the 9th day of April, 1869, on the fourth anniversary of Lee's .surrender to Grant at Appomattox the monument was unveiled.
One of the largest crowds that ever assembled in the city of Rock Island was present on the occasion. In the procession were the Masonic, Odd Fellow and Good Templar societies, lodges of the city, the firemen and civic societies, the Mayor and City Council of Davenport, the Mayor and City Council of Rock Island, the President and Board of Tnustees each of Moline and Milan, the Board of Supervisors of the county, and citizens. The late Emery A. Storrs, of Chicago, delivered a masterly oration
. Everything passed off in a pleasant manner, and while tears were shed for the brave boys who perished, all rejoiced that their memory would be perpetuated and that generations yet unborn would know of their heroic deeds.
Historic Rock Island
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved