DAYSVILLE

 

Daysville, once a thriving, prosperous village on the banks of the Rock River, is another of those of which the historian must write : " It was killed by a railroad." Austin Williams first made claim to the land on which Daysville is situated, and built there a log house. This claim he soon sold out to Jehiel Day, Jonathan Rawson and James Moore, who laid it out as a village in 1837.
Soon after came John Taylor and family, Brown and family, Henry Stiles, Wm. Jackson, Lyman Reed and Daniel Day. Mr. Taylor died at St. Charles, Ills. Mr. Brown returned to the East soon after. Mr. Stiles now lives near Rochelle. Lyman Reed continued to reside in the village until the time of his death. Daniel Day died in DeKalb County. Jehiel Day, after whom the vil­lage was named, died there, where Mrs. Day still resides. Mr. Moore died in Dixon. Mr. Rawson, although a partner, lived in the East.
Daniel Day built, on the site of the house now belonging to heirs of John M. Hinckley, the first frame house, in i837-'38, for a store, which was kept by him for a short time, when he sold out and built the first hotel, in about 1839. This was called, for a time, " The New England House," and is the two and a half story building now owned by Mrs. Dr. Morton McKinney. A few years after the erection of this house, James Moore built the house standing just west of it, and now owned by Wm. Stevens. The title " New England House " was transferred to this hotel. These have been kept by many different persons, but at present there is no hotel in Daysville.
The second store was opened by Wm. J. Mix and son, and Henry A. Mix, who moved the storeroom of Mr. Day to the northeast side of Main Street. 9
This was afterwards torn down. This firm dissolved, and stores were contin­ued by Wm. J. Mix, st., and by the two others, who built a storeroom on the west side of Main Street This, also, has been torn down. David McHenry established the next store, and was succeeded by Hurlbut & Carpenter. In the meantime, H. A. Mix and Wm. Mix, Jr., had removed to Oregon. Stores were opened in succession by Hiles & Williams, John Williams, Lyman Reed, A. J. Butterfield and others.                                                                   
The only store at present is that of George M. Reed, which is a continuation of the store established by his father, Lyman. Mrs. Lyman Reed is still living in the village. George M. Reed is now postmaster. The office was first established with Daniel Day as postmaster, at the time he began keeping tavern. When the settlement of Watertown sprang up a few years later, the office was removed to that place, and James Mitchell made postmaster for about two years. It was then returned to Mr. Day's tavern.


Wm. Cox was the first wagon maker; at present there is none. Silas Hawthorne was the first blacksmith; Emerson Grow now has a shop there. Dr. Gregory was the first physician. Many years ago, Dr. Addison Newton resided in Daysville, but he removed to Watertown, where he now resides.
Henry Stiles ran a pole ferry boat in 1837 ; Aaron Baldwin, Wm. J. Mix and others continued it, but there has been no ferry since that of Simon Wilson, about a dozen years since.
Lyman Reed built the first school-house about 1846, and in this Miss Dusenberry first taught. School had been peviously held in private houses and taught by Miss Hue, Mr. Light and many others.

The present school-house was built on the same lot on which the old one stood. Miss Agnes. Bunker, of Oregon, is the present teacher.
As Daysville was one of the earliest of Ogle County villages, it was made one of the stations of the Methodist circuit soon after it was laid out. Lean-der S. Walker was among the first to hold regular service, and Barton H. Cartwright, was the last to preach regularly. For many years, Rev. Erastus Woodsworth has preached in the school-house on every fourth §abbath.
The United Brethren have a station at this point. Regular preaching is held in the school-house every other Sunday by Elder Corsey. Mr. George Williams, who came at an early day, is now one of the oldest settlers at Daysville.
At one time the prospects of Daysville were quite flattering, and an active trade was carried on by four stores, but, as stated, the business was taken away when the railroad came so near without passing through the village.


In the northeastern corner of the township, Honey Creek station, was established on the Chicago & Iowa Railroad, and a village plat laid off by Major Chamberlin in May, 1873. Wm. T. Wilson was made postmaster and station agent. He was superseded, in the Fall of 1877, by Alonzo Wood, who has opened out a stock of groceries at that point.
Watertown, a mile and one half east of Daysville, is another settlement at which a village was attempted. It at one time had a saw mill, a carding mill and furniture shop.

 

History of Ogle County-1878

 

© Wini Caudell and Contributors

All Rights Reserved

Illinois Ancestors