VILLAGE OF SWEDONA.
Post office established March 2, 1855 as Centre Ridge; changed to Swedona Jan. 15, 1869.
The village now known by the above name was laid out in 1838 by Abner Arasmith, now of Kansas. Being located on what was known as the state road, between Knoxville and Rock Island, it became quite a thriving village, reaching at one time a population of about 500. The first store building was erected by Asa McMurtry. The name was changed from Berlin to Swedona in 1869, and. as the name implies, the population consists largely of Swedes.
GRIFFIN BROTHERS' TILE WORKS.
On [the S. W.1/4 of Sec. 34, are situated the tile works owned and operated by the Griffin Brothers. The works were established in 1879. and since that time these enterprising gentlemen have been scarcely able to meet the great and increasing demand for their tile. The clay underlying their land is of a very fine quality, and is pronounced by Prof. Weber equal to any in the state. These gentlemen are sons of William E. Griffin, Esq. (deceased), who was for many years supervisor of the township.
History of Mercer and Henderson Counties
Submitted by the Webmaster
Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved