SUEZ TOWNSHIP .
Suez , the next township west of North Henderson , is known as Town 13 North, Range 2 West. No part of Illinois offers a more inviting field to the agriculturist than this township. Looking for land in early days, the pioneer could scarcely be enticed beyond its western border, so beautiful was its prairie. Along its streams timber grew in sufficient quantities for fuel and fences, and coal veins cropped out in the valleys of the creeks.
In its religious and educational progress it has kept pace with any other portion of the county. David Williams and George Blake were the first to cast their lot in this township; this was in 1835. In the same year came James Stewart, Robert Pollock and William Moore; a little later came Harrison Brown, William Martin and James Blaine.
The first child born in the township was a daughter to George Blake and wife; the first couple to be married were Robert Caldwell and Mary Pollock. The first death to occur was that of Mrs. Preston, who was a daughter of Robert Pollock.
In 1837 Asa Ransom settled on Section 3, where he farmed extensively for many years, later lived in Chicago , but finally returned to Aledo, where he died.
The Pease family located on Section 20 about 1837. John Mauck came in 1838 and the Lafertys in 1840.
Another pioneer family were the Bridgers. R. Caldwell taught the first school in a log building erected by Robert Pollock, James Stewart and Samuel Shaw in 1837; religious services were also held there.
Suez Postoffice, originally called Pope Creek, was established in 1842, Henry Bridger being the first postmaster. In early days this place became generally known as Bridger's Corners. Asa Ransom kept the hotel, which was well patronized.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved