The first hotel, opened by H. E. Wright in 1854, has given place to the excellent house of Mrs. Robt. Hammond. The business of blacksmith shop of Norton Griffith, established in 1853, the wagon shop, opened by W. C. Gray in 1855. has been augmented b y the beautiful drug store of Dr. Jas.H. Seyler, the extensive general store of Wm. Hammond, Mr. Brigg's grocery. the large mill operated by Mr. Carver, the lumber yard, and the creamery, controlled respectively by J. E. Otto, and D. W. Little.
From this list must not be omitted the name of the veteran merchant, Mr. Philip E. Stevens, successor with Mr. Wright to Messrs. Wharton & Crawford, the first general merchants of the town.
The first postoffice, called "Farlow's Grove," was located at. the residence of Hopkins Boone. The mail was then carried on horseback, but since the location of the village of Preemption, all mail is received and sent daily through that office. The Rock Island & Mercer County Railroad, which passes through this village, has been a great convenience to the farmers, giving them opportunities to market their products at no greater cost than from any other railroad station in the county.
OFFICERS OF PREEMPTION AND PREEMPTION TOWNSHIP
ST. JOSEPHS CATHOLIC CHURCH
History of Henderson and Mercer Counties
© Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved