Perryton Township, lying north of Mercer, known as Town 15 North, Range 3 West, It has been difficult to obtain the facts relative to its early settlement, and no written history can be found.
The pioneer settlers who filed their claims have nearly all passed away or have moved to distant localities. The Miller family were probably the first to locate in the township, as their names appear as township officers at different times from 1835 to 1848. The northern portion of the township is level prairie while the southern is broken. Camp creek is the only stream of any note passing through it. At one time this stream furnished sufficient water to run grist and saw-mills, but at this writing it scarcely furnishes enough water for the stock on the farms on its border.
Sugar Grove was the first settlement, and here, as we are informed, Abram Miller and others made their homes as early as 1834 or 1835. Others who came about this time were Elias Morey, Benjamin Welch, Dr. John Kester, William Shuck, Thomas Dawson, James Kester and William Moore. The first post-office of record was established at Gingles' Corners, in the house of James Gingles, in 1847.
After the establishment of the mail route from Millersburg to Rock Island in 1854, an office was opened at the residence of Graham Lee, which was removed to Hamlet in 1857. The first school was taught in 1839 by Miss Sarah Farwell, afterwards the wife of William Doak. The building occupied was on Section 26, and was 10x14 feet, built by Jackson Woods.
The next school house was at Gingles' Corners—an old frame tenement house moved there for that purpose. The names of many of the early settlers have been lost, but among them we find William Doak, Graham Lee, William McHard, Hamlet Cooper, Austin Wood. Linus Wood, Isaiah Lockhard, John crooks and Henry Lee. Abraham Miller was the first dispenser of justice, and doubtless had his share in settling legal battles among the pioneers
The Methodists were among the pioneers in this township. Until 1869 they held their meetings in a school house, after which they erected a church building two miles east of Hamlet. This society flourished up to the establishment of the town of. Reynolds, in Rock Island county, when a church having been organized there, a large number transferred their membership to that place.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Conributors
All Rights Reserved