NORTH HENDERSON TOWNSHIP.
In the southeast corner of the county lies North Henderson township, known under the government survey as Town 13 North, Range 1 West, of the Fourth principal Meridian. It is one of the best agricultural sections of the county. One of the water courses passing through this township is Pope creek, which flows nearly due west along the northern town ship line. The valley of this stream was origi nally covered with timber, but in the early settlement much of this was used for fuel and fencing purposes. Some timber tracts owned by non-residents were known to the pioneers as "hooking quarters." Another stream, the North Henderson, from which the township takes its name, has its source in Knox county, crosses the line into this township at the northeast corner of Section 13.
The Rockford, Rock Island & St. Louis Railroad, built through this township in 1871, was some years later purchased by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, and is now known as its St. Louis branch.
The only village in the township is situated on this line, named after the township, North Henderson. It was laid out in 1871 by William H. and John T. Brown, and has become quite a flourishing town, containing good churches and schools and reliable business houses, which are well patronized by the farmers in the surrounding country. The oldest church organization is the Methodist Episcopal, which was organized at the house of David Bruner in 1840.
The township has built a neat and commodious town hall in the village for the public uses of the town. The first postoffice established in this township was called Ethel, and was located on section 21, John Goff, postmaster. After the village of North Henderson was established, the Ethel postoffice was removed to the village and the name changed, though Mr. Goff continued to be . postmaster. George A. Blue, druggist, is the present postmaster.February 18, 1838, the first marriage ceremony was solemnized in this township by the Rev. Mr. Gardiner, of Galesburg, a Universalist minister, uniting Benjamin F. Brown and Miss Lucinda Mann. The first birth in the township was that of William D. Fleharty, October 4, 1834, son of Govert and Margaret Fleharty, who lived on section 1 at that time. The first death to occur in this township was a child of John Pollock, which was the second interment in the Mann cemetery, the wife of James Bridger having been the first, in 1836. Thither Mr. James Mann, who gave the site for this cemetery, soon followed, dying March 10, 1837, at the age of sixty-four
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved