The Ninth Illinois Regiment was one of the six regiments organized at Springfield for the three months’ service.  The regiment was mustered into service on April 28, 1861 and ordered to Cairo, where it remained during the three months’ service in the brigade commanded by Brigadier G. M. Prentiss.
On July 26 the regiment was mustered into the three years’ service by Capt. Pitcher, U.S.A..  About 500 of the three months’ men re-enlisted for three years, and on September 1, 1861, the regiment numbered 1040.  On September 5, 1861, the regiment was ordered to Paducah where it passed the winter.  During the winter, expeditions were made to Milburn, Mayfield, Viola, Calloway Landing and elsewhere in Kentucky.  Three hundred men of the ninth, under command of Maj. Jesse J. Phillips, surprised and attacked a force of 200 rebel cavalry at Saratoga, Lyon County, Kentucky killing eight, wounding several, and taking thirty-six prisoners, besides many horses and equipment.
On February 5, 1862, the regiment moved up the Tennessee River to Fort Henry, and was in the 1st Brig., 2nd Div., Army of the Tennessee, Col. John McArthur commanding the brigade and Gen. C. F. Smith commanding the division.  The brigade moved up the left bank of the Tennessee River, driving the rebels from Fort Heiman and capturing all camp equipages and stores there.  On February 12 they moved to Fort Donelson and were engaged in that battle with eight companies, sustaining a loss of 35 killed, 166 wounded and 6 prisoners.  The part taken in this action by Col. McArthur’s brigade of which this regiment formed a part, has no place in any official report of that action.  His brigade, which formed a part of Gen. Smith’s division, was detached to the support of the first division, commanded by Brig. Gen. McClernand and was engaged on the right of our army during the fighting of Saturday, February 15, where most of the severe fighting took place.
On February 22 they moved up the Cumberland River and occupied Clarksville.  February 27, they moved to Nashville and returned March 1.  March 6, the embarked for Paducah and up the Tennessee to Pittsburg Landing, where they disembarked March 19.  The regiment was engaged at the battle of Shiloh, April 6 and 7, and sustained a loss on the 6th of 61 killed, 287 wounded and two prisoners.  Out of the twenty-six officers of field, staff and line, twenty-one were killed or wounded.  The second brigade was commanded by Brig. Gen. John McArthur and the division by Brig. Gen. W. H. L. Wallace.
During the advance upon Corinth the brigade was commanded by Brig. Gen. J. r. Oglesby and the division, attached to the third army corps (Maj. Gen. John Pope commanding), pursued the retreating enemy to Booneville, twenty-five miles south.  They remained in camp at Corinth from June 13 to August 16 and at Rienzi, fifteen miles south of Corinth until October 1.  The brigade was engaged at the battle of Corinth on October 3 and 4, and sustained a loss of nineteen killed, eighty-two wounded and fifty-two prisoners.  After the engagement, the regiment was ordered one battalion to Danville and one to Rienzi, from whence they were ordered to Corinth November 27.  On December 13, the regiment was ordered out on a reconnaissance to Gemtown, Saltillo, Tupelo, and Marietta, Mississippi.  The brigade (9th reg. Ill. Vol. Inf., 81st Ohio Inf., 1st batt. Stewart’s Ill. Cav., and two guns of Tanrath’s battery), commanded by Col. Ang. Mersey, captured seventy-eight prisoners and a large number of horses and mules.
As originally organized, Alexander G. Hawes of Belleville was captain of Co. E, which was largely raised in Mercer County.  William D. Craig of Aledo was first lieutenant and Roswell B. Patterson of Belleville, was second lieutenant.  The first and last named served in their respective offices until the expiration of their terms in 1864.  William D. Craig was promoted June 8, 1862 to the office of first assistant surgeon and retained that position until the expiration of his term; August 20, 1864.
Near the expiration of their terms, the regiment was reorganized and consolidated and Thomas C. Kidd of Springfield was chosen captain of Co. E, Thomas F. McClintock of Aledo, first lieutenant and Wm. Of Co. E, Thomas F. McClintock of Aledo, first lieutenant and Wm. P. Reese, second lieutenant.  David D. Bigger of Henderson was surgeon; Charles B. Fleming of Keithsburg, was second lieutenant of Co. A, and was afterward promoted to the first lieutenant.  For some time before and after the consolidation, the regiment followed the fortunes of Sherman’s bummers, as they were styled through to Savannah and north through the Carolinas.  In all, the 9th is credited with being in 110 battles and skirmishes.  Thirteen of Mercer County’s best citizens, members of Co. E, gave their lives as a sacrifice for their country’s salvation.

Transcribed by Denise Border

 

© Wini Caudell and Contributors

All Rights Reserved

Illinois Ancestors