One of the founders suggested the town be named for Windsor Castle in Scotland. Later, it became New Windsor when another Windsor, Illinois was discovered. Even though the name is used and maintained for the village, the official name is still the Village of Windsor.
The only incorporated village in Rivoli township is on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway. W. T. Hammond originally laid out this town in 1857, the railroad at that time being known as the Western Air Line. This road was surveyed from New York to Omaha, but the hard times of 1857 put a stop to its construction, its name was afterwards changed to the American Central Railway, and it was finally absorbed by the C., B. & Q., which constructed the road from Galva to New Boston in 1869.
The building of this road stimulated the growth of the town. It was incorporated in 1869, the first board of trustees be ing A. J. Moore, J. H. Epperson, P. Casler, E. L. Larkin and G. W. Gregg. Joseph M. Christy was the first police justice. In 1870 the people voted $10,000 to the Rockford, Rock Island & St. Louis Railroad, but the road having been built three miles east of town, the conditions were not complied with and the bonds were never issued.
New Windsor has many good business firms; her merchants are up to date, deriving their trade from a large and prosperous territory. The country surrounding the village has no superior for agricultural purposes in Western Illinois; land sells at prices equal to the best in the Eastern States. The original business portion of the village contained many frame buildings, but a few years ago the fire fiend obliterated them entirely, and since then nothing but brick has been used in the erection of mercantile houses.
Oxford Lodge No. 367, A. F. and A. M., was moved to New Windsor and held its first communication in this town July 20, 1870. H. H. Roberts is the present Worshipful Master and J. C. Spivey, Secretary. New Windsor has also a lodge of Odd Fellows, organized June 3, 1873.
Almost on half of New Windsors population is of Swedish decent.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved