Village of Millersburg
The town of Millersburg was surveyed by Judge E. Gilmore in 1837, and in this year was selected as the county-seat by Thomas Spragins and John S. Stephenson, two of the commissioners appointed for that purpose.
John Miller donated the land on which the county buildings were erected. The county-seat remained here until 1847, when, by a vote of the people, it was removed to Keithsburg, where it remained until 1857. Aledo having been laid out at' the geo graphical center of the county, the seat or justice was removed to that place.
No railroad has yet reached the old county seat, although, at several periods in its history, corps of surveyors have passed through its limits locating contemplated lines.
William Drury and James S. Thompson were its first merchants, and Erastus Denison its first hotel keeper. Dr. Martin Willetts was the first physician and H. W. Thornton the first lawyer. Until the court house was completed the judges held their court in the hotel.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved