Mercer Township is known as Town 4 North, Range 3 West. The soil is generally a rich black loam with some clay among the brakes and water courses. The township is well watered, Edwards river traversing the north tier of sections from east to west, and Pope creek flowing west near the south line, in Ohio Grove township. The numerous tributaries of these streams furnish an ample supply of water for stock.
The first entry of land made in the township was on August 21, 1837 , when John and Abraham Miller entered the northeast quarter of section 1. In this and the two following years, the Miller family entered over 800 acres of land in sections 3, 4, and 1& They were the first settlers in the township .
A portion of the lands entered by the Millers were school lands, and were patented to them by the governor of Illinois, who also issued a patent to Benjamin Clark, to the W. of the S. E. 4 of Sec. 16, on Setember 4, 1837.
The first survey for a town in the township was made March 30, 1837, by Judge Ephraim Gilmore. on the north-east quarter of Section 21, the place receiving the name of Mercer. The land has long been under cultivation, and but few residents remember that it was ) once a town-site. Some of the earliest settlers were Samuel McKee, Nicholas Edwards, L. F. Jobusch, E. C. Bartlett, Henry Lee, Isaac Artz, R. H. Winger and John McKee.
First Town Election.—The first election of town officers was held at the house of John McKee in 1853, twenty-seven votes being cast.
David Braucht was elected supervisor; E. C. Bartlett, town clerk; John S. Moore, assessor; John Ashbaugh, collector; John Artz, overseer of the poor; L. F. Jobusch, Jacob Sprecher and R. H. Winger, commissioners of highways; John McKee and Israel Artz, constables; Edward Clifford and George Smith, overseers of highways.
The present township officers are H. R. Morrison, supervisor; W. D. Emerson, town clerk; George Reed, assessor; Russell Park, collector; J. P. Nesbit, 0. P. Willitts and Edward Thompson, commissioners of highways; L. B. Doughty and W. D. Emerson, justices of the peace; F. A. Baker and Fred Dunning, constables.
In 1868, bonds to the amount of $13,400 were voted to the capital stock of the American Central Railroad to be delivered to the company when the road was finished to Aledo; these bonds have long since been paid.
History of Mercer and Henderson Counties
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved