The great source of wealth in this line in Mercer county consists in its coal mines. The supply is, to all appearance, inexhaustible. According to the report of the late State Geologist, Prof. A. H. Worthen, there are three seams of coal in this county.
The lower seam (No. 1) affords the larger part of the coal now used in the county. It is from three to five feet in depth, and underlies a large area. This seam has been extensively worked in Green, Mercer, Preemption, Richland Grove and Duncan townships. The next coal seam (No. 2), found over a large area, has been mined in North Henderson, Suez, Ohio Grove, Rivoli, Green, Mercer, Millersburg, Richland Grove, Preemption, Perryton and Duncan. This seam ranges from one and one-half feet to three feet in thickness. The upper seam (No. 3) has been found in Green, Rivoli and North Henderson. These mines afford a large amount of good coal, the seam ranging from three to five feet.
The largest coal mines now worked in the county are at Cable, Sherrard, Wanlock, Gilchrist, Laoc and Dogtown. Vast quantities of excellent coal are now shipped by railroad from these mines to various localities. All portions of the county are supplied with an excellent quality of coal from these mines, and the time is not far distant when, having been more fully developed, they will be the means of. bringing great wealth to the owners of the land and to the operators
The town of Sherrard was a virtual boom town until the coal mine closed in 1918. The
greatest population as per the Federal Census was in 1910 when the population
reached 906. Of the 168 families listed in the 1900 Federal Census, a large
number are listed as having "boarders" which is to be expected in a new booming coal mining town.
Many of the homes and buildings in Sherrard were moved from Cable as the coal mine there began to decline. Later, when the mine in Sherrard closed in 1918, many of the buildings were moved to Matherville. After the closing of the coal mine, the population of the village declined to half its population by 1910.
Mr. Hugh Gilchrist has been a prominent factor in the development of the great coal interests of Green township. He established the towns of Gilchrist and Wanlock, just north of the railroad, and opened the mines that give employment to several hundred men. From these mines trains of coal pass out every day to all parts of the country. Being of good quality, it is in demand by the manufacturing interests in many cities. The old mine at Gilchrist having been about worked out, a new shaft has been sunk south of the railroad and the town moved there. Since Mr. Gilchrist death these mines have been sucessfully managed by Mr. John Gilchrist and Mr. Charles Shuler.
History of Mercer and Henderson Counties
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved