Postcard from the Lake County Discovery Musuem. Permission granted.
The Town of Mather is located on Section 27 and was laid out by the Coal Valley Mining Company in March, 1909. The village proper is named Mather but the postoffice and the railroad stations are Matherville. Several additions have been made to this little place. Fort ysix lots were laid out, each being 50 by 150 feet, on land of J. A, Russell. A, R, Stein, of Cable, was probably the first merchant. The place was named for Engineer Mather of the new interurban line, upon which the village was located, In March 1911, the village voted on the question of incorporation as follows: For incorporation under the general law, fortyseven votes; against incorporation, thirteen votes. This election was held on April 32, In March, 1911, Fred C. Schroedcr was elected mayor, The trustees were Herman Zude, Henry Barr, Andrew Garrett. Alexander Simpson, John A, Jones and Miller Lewis, Charles Kirchman was clerk and John Olson police magistrate. The little place had become a city
. In 1912 the Mathcrvilk Electric Light & Power began operations with a capital of $10,000. in 1914 the town had a population of 200 and the following were the principal, busines Alden Coal Company; Cable Mercantile Store, general store; Elmer J. Geddes. meat market; Hebbln Brothers, lumber; Inch Brothers, confectionery; McCullough Lumber & Coal Company; Olsen Chester, confectionery and bakery; H, L. Pearce. hardware ; E. J. Quaintance, meat market; H. H, Quaimance, blacksmith; Emil Roquet, dry goads, clothing and shoes; Schraeder & Caddy, general store; A. R. Stein, general store; Joseph Wild, general store; Theodore Workbeiser, hotel.
History of Mercer and Henderson County
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved