Edwin Bishop started the town of Eliza in 1850. Mr. Bishop was a blacksmith and opened a shop at the corners; he was also postmaster.
Among the physicians who have practiced at this place were Dr. T. L. Edwards, Dr. M. G. Reynolds (now of Aledo), Dr. J. C. Furlong and Dr. Joseph Close.
Isaiah Bishop opened the first store, and it has been conducted by some of the family for many years. There is also a fine town hall built of brick, having a seating capacity of 400.
The first town meeting was held in April, 1854. John Glancey was selected as supervisor, L. W. Noble, town clerk; James M. Mannon. assessor: William Irvin. Martin A. Cook and D. W. Noble, commissioners of highways; Dudley Willits. overseer of the poor, and Eli Mills, poundmaster.
Miss Mary Ann Delabav taught the first school in a log building on the bluff near the farm of D. F. Noble. Miss Emily Cawkins afterwards was a teacher in this school.
No railroad has as yet found its way into Eliza township; the larger part of its citizens find Muscatine, Iowa, their best market. A fine bridge crossing the river there is a great ac commodation to them. New Boston receives the trade from the southern portion, while many who visit Aledo find it convenient to purchase their goods there.