DR. D. R. JOHNSTON
Born August 21, 1842, in Logan county, Ohio, he being the third son of Rev. Dr. J. B. Johnston, of the United Presbyterian church. He received his education at Geneva College, Ohio, and attended both the medical college of Ohio at Cincinnati and Rush Medical College of Chicago, taking his degree as M.D. from the latter institution, in 1865. At the breaking out of the war he entered the army with the 17th reg. Ohio Vol. Inf., and in 1864 was appointed by Gov. Morton assistant surgeon of the 1st Indiana heavy artillery.
He practiced medicine in Indianapolis from 1865 to 1868, when he was appointed by the board of foreign missions of the United Presbyterian church as medical missionary to Egypt, where he spent eight years, part of which time he was president of the training college at Osiout, upper Egypt. The doctor returned to the United States in the spring of 1876, and in the fall of that year located in Mansfield, Ohio, where he remained till April 1, 1881.
In the summer of 1881 he came to Aledo and bought the drug store of Dr. J. M. Wallace, and entered upon the practice of his profession. He was married December 25, 1868, to Miss Maggie J. Stewart, of St. Clairsville, Ohio, and has had four children, of whom two died in Egypt and two are living. Dr. Johnston is a member of the United Presbyterian church of Aledo, and superintendent of its Sabbath school, and by political faith is a republican.
History of Mercer and Henderson County
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved