ALEXIS

 

This thriving little village enjoys the distinction of being situated in two counties, Warren and Mercer, and in four townships. Spring Grove and Kelly in Warren county, and Suez and North Henderson in Mercer county.

This village, though bearing the same name as the royal prince, is not a Russian Town . It was first called Alexandria and recently abbreviated to its present name for convenience. It is situated twelve miles north and east from Monmouth, and was laid out in Nov., 1870, by Robert Holloway and J.E. Alexander upon land owned by them.

The first house was moved to the Town site Nov. 20, 1870, and upon the first train North on the Rockford, Rock Island and St. Louis R.R., J. E. Alexander moved his goods, and established the station. He has held the office of Station and Express Agent since the opening of the Railroad. The books of the Co. show that from this point there has been shipped 500 cars of stock in a year, and, sometimes 140 cars of grain per month. The growth of the town has been rapid, and new buildings are rising to take their places, showing the confidence there is in the stability of this town.

There are four general stores, five groceries, two drug stores, two hardware and agricultural implements, one book and stationary store, two blacksmith shops, one flouring mill, one machine ship, two lumber yards and two hotels.

A fine two story school house was built in 1874, cost $2,600, and the schools are well graded, Superintendent, C. Galloway . The number of children by examination of Sept., 1876, was 384.

The first village Trustees came in to office July 28, 1873, and their names are as follows: John C. Blaney, Prest.; A. G. Talbot, O. E. Bugbee, O. G. Chapman, James Loveridge, Daniel Churchill; John Douglas, Clerk, Chas. Churchill, Hiram Ingersoll, James H. Shaw, Robert Knox, W. W. Graham; Thos. B. Patterson, Clerk; Chas. E. Johnson Treas.,and W. H. Brown Police.

 

 

VILLAGE OFFICERS.(1877)

Trustees : A. G. Talbot, J. E. Lafferty, J. C. Blaney, John Oswalt, George B. Dodge, Dr. J. W. McClanahan. Clerk: Tho's. B. Patterson. Police Magistrate: W. H. Brown.

 

The population of Alexis in 1900 was 915, of whom 246 were on the Warren county side of the line and 246 on the Mercer county side.

 

 

VILLAGE COUNCILS      CHURCHES     NEWSPAPERS

 

From: The History of Mercer and Henderson Counties

Submitted by Wini Caudell

© Wini Caudell and Contributors

All Rights Reserved

Illinois Ancestors