Abington Township is known as Town 13 North, Range 4 West, and is almost wholly devoted to the production of grain and the raising of stock. The good judgment of the early settlers in locating their claims in this township has been demonstrated in the fact that its lands have been found fertile, and the industrious tillers of the soil have reaped large re turns in profits from the successful raising of corn and stock. This is also attested by the beautiful homes found on nearly every quarter-section surrounded by improvements and furnished with luxuries not often found in the homes of the most favored who reside in the fities
The first settlement in the township was made in about 1832 or 1833, and among the first settlers were Joseph Glancey, William T. Jackson, John W. Ditto, Frederick Frick, and Thomas Greer. All these lived to a ripe age, and Mr. Ditto still survives. Joseph Glancey settled in Abington township in July, 1834. He broke the first land in the township on the place now known as the Gates farm. Other early include George Jay, James Strong, W. P. Strong, Seth Gates and A. J. Douglass
The first bridge to be built over Pope creek was erected in 1837; John Rumley was the contractor and the Hon. Thomas B. Cabeen was the superintendent in its construction. This bridge was located a little below where formerly stood Clancy's mill. The hands at work on the bridge boarded at Mr. Burnley's, and Mrs. E. C. Swafford, then a girl of fifteen years, was one of the cooks.
The first saw mill in Abington township was built in 1838 or 1839, by Mr. Isaiah Brown, one mile and a half east of the Pope mill. William Willit, now of Keithsburg, ran the mill for a time and then purchased it.
Mrs. Evaline C. Swafford owned the first sewing machine that was in Mercer county. It was a Wheeler & Wilson, and was bought in Chicago in 1858, by Theodore Glancey, when he was on his way east to attend school in Jamestown, New York. The machine was a great curiosity in the community, and persons came for miles to see the wonder. Mrs. Swafford says the many questions asked about the machine were really amusing. The first postofiice was at the residence of Frederick Frick.
The following is a list of the citizens of Abington township elected to the office of justice of the peace, according to the record in the office of the county clerk at Aledo and the advice of old and well-informed residents:
Frederick Frick, elected August 5, 1839, August 7, 1843, August 2, 1847; Orla C. Richardson. November 6, 1849; George Jay, November 6, 1849; S. G. Wright, April 6, 1858; Frederick Frick, April 6, 1858, April 1, 1862, April 3, 1866; William P. Strong, April 2, 1867; M. R. Gushee, April 5, 1870; William Willitt, April 7, 1874; Ernest J. Glancey, April 4, 1876; Lewis Sponsler, April 3, 1877; E. J. Glancey, April 3, 1877, April 5, 1881; John W. Landers, April 5, 1881.
Historical Encyclopediaof Illinois
History of Mercer & Henderson Counties
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved