Text from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"|
From the Menard County Atlas of 1874 , we learn
Kirby School was in existence at that time. The
first building was built of logs. The second, a brick
structure, was built just east of the old building on
land donated by George Kirby. Pioneer family names
were Kirby, Bonnett, Spurgin, Senter, Harns and
Atkins. At one time Kirby School had the most
active community programs in the county. People
gathered from miles around for these socials.
Pupils attended here until 1946-1947.
The school was then used to house school
buses and later torn down. This area is
now part of Petersburg Unit System.