Photo & text from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"
Although little information is available on the
Bobtown School, old timers of several years ago
stated a one room log cabin stood at the foot of
Kingfisher hill. Later, when School District No.23
of Menard County was formed, a new building was
built southwest of the Inn on the west bank of
Clary's Creek. This school accommodated
students to the southwest as well as the Bobtown area.
Some of the teachers were Pearl Altig, Edith Lynch,
and Beatrice Kendall with the last teacher being Adam
Hibbs. The school was closed in 1916 with the building
being moved to Oakford where it became a part of the
Earl Allen residence which has since been razed.