George Wetzel


George Wetzel, after a lingering illness of six weeks from lung trouble and infirmities of old age, sank to rest at 12:50P.M., the 17th day of March, 1888. Deceased was born in the city of Carlisle, Pennsylvania Nov. 12, 1808. His father, George Wetzel died when the subject of this sketch was about five years old. His mother was left with three small children, he being the oldest. His mother was married the second time when he was about eight years old to Batlzer Lutz, of Augusta county, Virginia, to which state they then moved. At the age of eighteen he began and served an apprenticeship at the carpenter trade. He was married to Miss Sarah Nebergall, of Augusta County, Virginia April 21, 1828. They were raised under the Reformed and Lutheran churches respectively, and both professed faith in Christ, in 1834 and united with the United Brethren church in 1846, living faithful and consistent Christians until death. They moved to Fulton County in the spring of 1846, settling near Vermont where they resided for about 18 months, when they removed to the vicinity of Table Grove, living there for six years, moving from there to Harris township, near New Philadelphia, where they secured a home of their own where they have since lived, until death ended their earthly pilgrimage. This venerable couple walked side by side for over 57 years, sharing their joys and sorrows together, until the 14th of November, 1885 when Mother Wetzel was called home. They having raised a family of ten children, seven sons and three daughters, the oldest 57 and the youngest 35 years of age, named respectively John N., Christopher, George W., William H., Ahaz B., Mary C. ( Bryan), Daniel W., Sarah M. (Sennett), Granville L., and Eliza J., (Hunnicutt). All of whom are living in a radius of 12 miles of the old homestead, and visited their father during his last illness, and were present at his funeral except William H., who lives in Kansas. Two are living in Fulton and seven in McDonough County. The

deceased lived to see his posterity number 62 grandchildren, 47 of whom are still living, and 24 great grandchildren 20 of whom are living. Since coming to this state he has made farming his occupation, this being the occupation of all his sons and sons-in-law also. He bore his suffering through his long illness with great patience, saying that he was only waiting for the end when he could go home to rest. The funeral was held at 11a.m., the 19th at Point Pleasant Church. The discourse was held by Rev. A. Rigney assisted by Rev. H. Cline, after which the remains were laid to rest in the adjoining cemetery by the side of his wife who had so recently preceded him. Not withstanding the deep and almost incessant rain of the day, the church was well filled with sorrowing relatives and friends. Uncle George's bright cultured intellect and unswerving character together with his fine sense of humor in all of his relations with his fellowmen and his large hearted benevolence combined to command the respect and esteem of all who knew him, so that it can be truthfully said that of friends he had many, and enemies few or none. His home has ever been noted for its generous hospitality and sunshine where both friends and stranger always received a cordial welcome.

(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Lewis Wetzel)



Copyright Janine Crandell & all Contributors
All rights reserved