Adair and vicinity were shocked last Monday morning when the news rapidly spread that Mrs. Lucinda Herndon had passed away at her home about midnight the night before. Prof. Nichols and wife, who have rooms in her home were aroused about twenty minutes before the midnight hour by her coming into their living room and turning on the light. They asked if she was sick and she replied she was and asked that they call the Doctor, which they very hurriedly did and Dr. Carnahan was there in a few minutes and found she had suffered a stroke of apoplexy but was still conscious and spoke a few words, after which she lapsed to unconsciousness and passed away as above stated. Mrs. Herndon, while not in very good health, had consulted her physician at times for several months, yet at that time was in her usual health. She had spent the evening with Mr. Nichols and family and all retired about 9:30, she saying during the evening that she was feeling well, and nothing was known of her feeling bad until aroused as stated and it is thought she felt bad for only a short time. Her sons and some neighbors were called and her son Marshall and Mrs. Haggerty, beside the doctor, were all who reached her bedside before life was extinct. Lucinda, only daughter of William and Eliza Clark, was born in Morgan county, Ill., August 15, 1853 and passed away at her home in Adair, Ill., Sunday, January 20, 1924, aged 70 years, 5 months and 5 days.
Deceased grew to womanhood in the county where she was born, and on March 20, 1872, she was united in marriage to Elijah C. Herndon of this vicinity and came with her husband to this county to reside, going to housekeeping on the homestead four miles west of Adair, where they resided until 1900 when they retired from farming and moved to Adair, where she has since resided. Her companion passed away on May 2, 1918. To them were born ten children, four daughters and six sons. Five are deceased, Maggie and Grace, who died in infancy, Frank at the age of 7 years, Edith and Iva, grew to young womanhood and were taken away in death within a short time in the same year which was ever a great sorrow to the parents. Five sons grew to manhood and survive their mother. They are: Wilbur and Howard of Macomb, Ill., Fred E. who resides on the home farm, Herbert J. of Havana, Ill., Marshall of Adair, Illinois. She also leaves two brothers, Hardin and Jason Clark of Jacksonville, Ill., one brother Albert, being deceased. Besides these she leaves six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, who will miss a grandmother's love, some of them hold her memory most dear as they were bereft of a mother when quite small and were taken into the grandparent's home, where they received the tenderest care. Mrs. Herndon was a member of the United Brethren church for thirty-five years, she being a member of this place where she assisted with the different activities of the church. She was a kind and loving mother and friend and her death will be mourned by many who will miss her cherry smile and jovial manner in which she ever greeted them. Her sudden departure from among us makes it sad and hard for all her loved ones to bear and especially the sons who fondly cherished the memory of their mother as a precious legacy. Vain is any attempt to measure the loss of a mother to her children. After all the poets have sung and lovers have dreamed, there is no love like the mother's love, and in this instance as in many others we would not attempt to comfort with words but would let our tears flow with tears of sympathy. In the going of this active mother, the community has lost one of its older residents, she having belonged to this vicinity for more than half a century and in all her years she has helped in sickness, death and in the many instances of life where a friend is needed and it is with this fond memory that a large number gathered to pay their last respects to one they loved. Funeral services were held in the United Brethren church Wednesday afternoon at 1:00 o'clock, conducted by her pastor, Rev. B. Lee Tewsley who spoke words of cheer and comfort to the bereaved ones. Beautiful music was rendered by Messrs. B. E. Currens and Mrs. R.A. Carrison and E. L. Wetzel, with Mrs. R. H. Hammond at the piano, after which the body was taken to Pennington Point where it was laid to rest in the family burying grounds, beside her loved ones.
(Adair Beacon, Jan. 1924, submitted by Matthew Ferricks)