WILLIAM G. WHITE.
Some men are natural leaders both in political and private life and when such power is in the hands of those who are good and reliable the community prospers. Such a man is William G. White, of Clover township, who was born August 21, 1859, in Lynn township, Henry county, a son of Robert S. and Elizabeth (Neal) White, residents of Woodhull, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. He was reared on the home farm, assisting in the general work and attending the country district schools, thus growing to vigorous young manhood. Upon attaining his majority he commenced working for himself on a farm in Osco not far from Cambridge, continuing there for four years prior to his marriage.
On February n, 1891, Mr. White married Edith M. Shelter, a daughter of John W. and Nancy J. (Knox) Shelter, prominent people of Clover township, where Mr. Shelter owns considerable property, although he and his wife now reside in Woodhull. Mr. and Mrs. White have one son, Harry L., who is a student of the Woodhull high school, class of 1911. He will be eighteen years old when he graduates and will then be given academic and collegiate courses.
For the nine years following his marriage, Mr. White resided in Ontario, Knox county, Illinois, where he owned a fine farm, but in the fall of 1899 he removed to the White homestead in Clover township, Henry county, where he has since resided. There he carries on general farming and stock raising, making a specialty of thoroughbred horses and hogs, he believing that only high bred stock pays. The White homestead comprises one hundred and sixty-six acres, while his Knox county farm consists of eighty acres.
The political affiliations of Mr. White are with the republican party and he has served it as a member of the county central committee and a number of times as delegate to conventions. While residing in Lynn township he was road commissioner for several years and held the same office for three years in Clover township prior to becoming assessor here and he has continued the incumbent of that oince for six continuous years. For nine years he has been a member of the board of education and has served it as clerk during this time. He and his family are members of the Presbyterian church, of which he has been an elder for a number of years. For some time he was superintendent of the Sunday school and Mrs. White is one of the teachers in it. She is also a member of the church missionary society and belongs to other organizations of the church. Both Mr. and Mrs. White are very much interested in the Farmers Institute, she serving as secretary of the domestic science department and previously as its president.
They believe that the work of the institute is affecting a remarkable change among the farmers and their wives and they are contributing both time and money to it. Mr. White is one of the most progressive citizens of Clover township and has always advocated good roads, bridges, schools and government. A supporter of the church, he believes that it is one of the most important factors in advancing the moral standard of any community and no call is made upon him in vain for furthering its work.
History of Henry County
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved