This is the center township of this county, and very appropriate is she crowned queen in beauty of landscape, deep, rich soil, spendid farms and general agricultural wealth. When all are so good it might seem invidious to say any special one was the best; possibly there can be no best among them, only in certain lines, and in this view of the case, certainly this township stands second to none. There is no town in it, yet on the assessor’s books, but more especially to the traveler’s eye in passing over this great, rich garden and viewing for the first time it’s broad, rich acres, well trimed and better tilled farms, commodious and elegant farm houses and comfortable out-buildings for the fat cattle, and sleek horses and great barns, bursting with hay and grain, it presents an enchanting view of comfort, plenty, ease and content, that is one of the pleasant and wholesome sights in the wrangling, suffering world.
It is appropriately named after Merrit Munson, one of the county’s prominent and most enterprising citizens, an honor upon a worthy citizen of the county worthily bestowed. During the later part of Mr. Munson’s life he lived in Geneseo, and there, as well as in Munson Township, his memory will be kept green as long as history or tradition may recount the growth and glory of Henry County.
No railroads touch its boundries, but it finds easy market and shipping at Geneseo and Cambridge. It is well drained by Spring Creek, which rises in several branches in the southwest corner, and passes out at the northeast corner. It has no wasteland and in a few years every quarter-section will be tile-drained.
There are seven commodious school-houses for the education of the young, and the pious and godly find convenient and comfortable places of worship in any part of the township. Here is located the county farm, where the county’s unfortunate find a welcome refuge from the bitter storms of a cold and certainly to them, a cheerless world.
Many of the first settlers here moved to the line of the railroads when they began to build through the county. The majority of these going to Geneseo, of those who were content to remain, we note, Elisha Atwater, who came in 1840 and improved section 19. He was a native of New Haven, Conn.,born Dec. 18, 1810. His farm contained 208 acres. He was in the service during the late war, 2 nd Lieut.Co.H,112 th Reg. He was married to Miss Margaret Wright at Harrisburg, Pa., May 18, 1838 where she was born, Feb.28,1821. They had 11 children.
:Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Illinois
© Wini Caudell and all contributors
All rights reserved