Picture from Robin Pardus

The Hammond-Henry District Hospital, Geneseo, which at one time was a private residence and a school. The original building was erected in 1876, at a cost of $20,000 as the residence of Maj. James M. Allen. In 1883 it became part of the Northwestern Normal School. The building then sat empty for 10 years until John C. Hammond at the age of 19 came to Geneseo. He bought the vacant building in 1901 and donated it, along with $1,000 to the city for use as a hospital.

JOHN C. HAMMOND

 

©Wini Caudell and Contributors

All Rights Reserved

Illinois Ancestors