Cornwall Township lies a little east of the center of the county, and the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad nearly touches its northeast corner. Its points of easiest access to railroads are Atkinson and Cambridge , and for the southeast portion of it Kewanec is not a very long distance for shipping. In it's limits are neither a town nor postoffice; but it is a populous and wealthy township of farmers and stock-raisers. To stockraising the people are giving much attention of late years, and this is making itself evident by the great improvement in stock, especially in horses and cattle. The land yields immense crops of corn and grass, and when the stock is ( graded up and thoroughbreds abound, the annual profits to the farmers of this section will soon make , them all rich and independent.
The township is well drained by Spring and Mud Creeks, the former passing out at the northeast and the other at the northwest.
Like Galva and other parts of the county, there were only one or two, or at most, three pioneer families m the township prior to 1852—simply because immigrants could not see the advantages of this rich, virgin land; and so long as there was no chance for transportation to the distant markets for their produce. But when the canal was constructed to La Salle ,and work was commenced on the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad, then began the rush of immigrants, the first coming of course settling as near on the line of the road's survey a possible.
James Southworth, a native of Erie , Pa, born Sept. 4, 1823 , came to the county in 1837. He improved a farm of 231 acres on section 6. He was for years one of the leading, influential men of the county. His wife was E. C. Hanna, a native of Whiteside Co.,Ill., born Nov. 15, 1827 . They were married Feb.19, 1850, and had four children. Mr, S. was a veteran in the Mexican War, and was in, politics and in the general affairs of life independent, and would be no man's man.
John Taylor came in 1837. He improved a firm of 160 acres on section 8, he and Southworth thus becoming near neighbors. Mr, T's wife was Elizabeth Ogden, a native of Pennsylvania , born Feb. 5, 1831 , They were married Nov. 1849, and had eight children, five boys tind three girls.
They were not surprised by any new neighbors until 1846, when Thomas J. Trekel fixed his abode on section 4 and when he became an extensive farmer, owning 760 acres. He was from Tippecanoe Co., lud. Mrs. Trekel was Lydia Wolever, bom in New Jersey , Feb. 22, 1839. They were married Sept. 24, 1855 .
Lewis Shearer, of one of the leading families in the county.and noted as a stock-raiser, came in 1850, a native of New York , born Oct. 6, 1817 . His improvement was made on section 18, and became a valuable farm of 694 acres.
Joseph W. Mukins, a native of Virginia , came in 1844. His wife was a Miss Mary Ellen wood, a native of Washington Co., Ohio , born Sept. 7, 1823 .
E. H. McConoughey came in 1841, and settled on section 15. He was a native of Massachusetts , born Jan.1,1808; married March 7, 1849 , His widow, Mrs. S. McConoughy, came to the county in 1849. The Calvary Presbyterian Church was organized Jan. 2, 1868. The organization took place in the nearest accessible Church,the Methodist Episcopal, on the north line of Burns Township. The organization was effected by the following committee of the Bureau Presbytery : Rev. J. C. Barr, J. Milligan, and Ruling Elders, Alex. White (now of Geneseo), Charles M. Priestly, Rev. J. S. McClung and Moses Thatcher. Rev. J. C. Barr preached. John Fleming was at this meeting elected, ordained and installed as Ruling Elder of the Church. After the organization they held meetings for some time in the school -house on section 27.
In 1870-1, a church was built on section 27, at a cost of $3,500. Kev. J. S. McClung was stated supply of the Church from the date of its organization until March, 1871. Then Rev. F. 1. Moffat served the Church as stated supply from October, 1871, up to Uec. 10, 1872, when he was installed Pastor. The original members were: H, S. Rogers, Mrs. Phcebe Rogers, W. W. Winters, Mrs. Virginia Winters, William Allen, Mrs. Margaret Allen, Thomas Rowland, Mrs. C. T. McClung, Mrs. A. C. Torrencc, John Fleming, Mrs. Mary A. Fleming, Mrs. Sarah A. Cal- lender, A. E. Benedict, Mrs. Harriet T. Benedict, Gabriel Romig, James J. Dickey, Mrs. Caroline E. Rickey, Isaac Calknder, James Orr, Alexander Walker, W. H. Torrence.
History of Henry County
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved