Atkinson was named after Charles Atkinson, now of Moline, one of the early settlers of this county. He owned large quantities of land in the township and all the land on which the village is situated. The first settler in Atkinson Township was Andrew Taylor. He died here many years ago. One of his sons, John, lives in Cornwall , and a daughter, Mrs. S. J. Hamilton, lives in Geneseo.
The next was John B. Taylor, who came and put up a cabin in 1837. He died in September, 1839.
In 1852 there were but two families in this township, namely: H. Fane's and Rozel W. Little's.
Asa Crook is probably the oldest settler now living in the township. He made his improvement on section 18. J.W. Little was one of the early settlers. John Welch was another early settler and was quite a prominent man while he lived here. He went to Nebraska . One of his daughters is still in the township; married her cousin
B.F. Welch. The most important family were the Nowers, Thomas Nowers, Sr., and his sons and daughters, David Walters, the Trekells and Trekell's brother-in-law, D.W. Wonderly. The last named are all now in Nebraska . R.M. Besse and Henry Bass are both well known early settlers.
A large part of this township is in the Green River swamps. There were very few settlers came into it until after the building of the railroad in 1854, and the extensive drainage of the swamp and overflow lands, which were commenced in 1856. Jacob Meyers came in 1855; the same year Robert W. Milar. Otis W. Mankins came in 1854 and John K. Trekell came to the county in 1836. He is a native of Ohio . His wife was Theresa Walters of Ohio . They were married Feb. 13, 1860 .
From Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Ill
Submitted by Wini Caudell
© Wini Caudell and all contributors
All rights reserved