The town of Terre Haute is situated in the prairie region of the county, on Secs. 20, 21, 28 and 29, T. 8 N., R. 5 W.
It was surveyed and platted by William C. Rice, surveyor, March 27, 1854, and the plat recorded in Vol. VIII, p. 184 of records in Henderson county. It contains about 250 inhabitants and is the center of considerable trade.
This original plot covered a little more than 13 acres in. the corners of sections 20, 21, 28 and 29. There have been some additions to the town. Wm. Archer was the first postmaster. The first house built on the present site of Terre Haute was erected by Wm. Reynolds in 1848, and soon afterward Joseph Genung built the second. The first store-room was built by Alexander Bushnell, and is at present used for a wareroom by J. J. Bryan. Dr. Nelson was the first physician, and went to the village on foot. Keokuk, chief of the Sacs and Foxes, then had his headquarters at Burlington, and was quite a frequent visitor to the Terre Haute neighborhood. Dr. Smith remembers of often sitting on the knee of the old warrior.
There are in the town several dry-goods, grocery and notion stores, as well as a drug store, restaurant, wagon and blacksmith shops and other general business found in a thriving country village. Dr. E. H. Trask, Dr. B. F. Hamilton and Dr. W. K. Smith are the physicians of the place. Among the gentlemen who have held the scales of the fair goddess of justice are J. Davis, Wm. Hartford, A. Bushnell, W. C. Reynolds and A. H. Magie. The present incumbents are Geo. J. Morgan and C. R. Gittings.
It has no railroad or river facilities for shipping, Lomax station, on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad, being its principal point of shipment. It is the center of a rich farming country and surrounded by lands of extraordinary fertility.
History of Mercer and Henderson Counties.
© Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved