Lomax, is on the Chicago, Bur lington & Quincy railroad. It was laid out by Robert Lomax, May 11, 1882, in Sec. 15, T. 8 N., R. 6 W., J. Wilson Williams acting as surveyor ; plat and deed recorded in Vol. I, of plats, p. 64, Henderson county. At this point there has been a railroad station and business point for many years. Prior to the opening of the railroad, William Lomax, the father of the present proprietor, owned and cultivated a large farm, through which the road was located and a station established at the point where the town is now laid out. The senior Lomax errected a dwelling and store, and also other buildings at the station, so that in fact it became quite a town years before any town was marked out in a regular way. The proprietor had resided on the place for many years ; in fact he was among the early settlers of the county, and owned this valuable property before railroads came to further enhance its value.
Although the population of the town is small, it has become an important shipping point. Large shipments of cattle, hogs and grain are made at this station, and there is no reason why this should not, in in the near future, with such an enterprising business man as its present proprietor, become a flourishing town. The elder Lomax died in the year 1879, at an advanced age, loved and respected by all who knew him.
He had lived to see the frontier upon which he had settled become a cultivated, populous community. He had, as a citi zen, lent his aid to advance every laudible undertaking for the advancement of the interest of the county. He had served four yearn as associate justice in our county court, and well and faithfully did he discharge the duties of his office. With hands clear of official corruption, with consciousness of having performed his duty, he retired from office and his remaining years were made pleasant with the kindest regards of his fellow citizens. His worthy son Robert succeeds him in the estate and business established by his father. The position has fallen to able hands.
The father's wishes and plans will now be carried out by the son. Possessing youth, vigor and fine business capacity, he still retains that same modesty of character and moral conviction that endeared his father to the people among whom he lived. Mr. Lomax is at present, as will be seen elsewhere in this sketch, one of the commissioners of the county. Just north of this place the Toledo, Peoria & Warsaw railroad forms a junction with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad, and over the track of the latter runs on to the city of Burlington.
. The first business here was the opening of the station by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad on January 1, 1870, the road having been built the year previous. During the same year Foggy & Lomax opened a general stock of merchandise. Mr. Foggy retired in 1874, and the firm became R. A. Lomax & Co., the company being Mr. William Lomax, the father of R. A. The firm changed in 1878 to R. A. Lomax, who yet continues the business in a prosperous and creditable manner.
In 1871 a blacksmithing business was begun by Robert Forquar, which he sold to William Cox in 1876, who now does a paying business at the trade.
Early in the history of the place James Rhodes & Co. opened a general stock of merchandise. They closed out their stock and retired from business in 1875.
In the spring of 1881 Dr. W. H. Ball opened a stock of drugs here. He was succeeded by Mr. C. W. Cluff a year later. The only physician in the place is 0. H. Russell, M.D., who is a graduate of a first-class medical school, and a man of no mean talent in his profession.
History of Mercer and Henderson Counties.
© Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved