The town of Carman was laid out and platted by Joseph Carman, September 3, 1870, in Sec. 27, T. 9 N., 6 W., and recorded in Vol. X XTV, of deeds, p. 344, Henderson county.
It is situated on the line of Carthage Division of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad, about one mile from the Mississippi river, and contains a population of about 300. Shokokon lies between this town and the river. Carman is a flourishing town, and the center of a large grain trade. Large quantities of corn are annually stored at this point for distribution to the different markets. It is five miles by railroad to Burlington, Iowa, and about fifteen miles to the county seat. About two miles east of this place resides John Fredericks Curts, on his place known as the " Bear Grove" farm, of which further mention will be made in this sketch.
Near this place many of the earlier settlers of the county found a home. Alfred Knowles and Dr. Freeman Knowles came from the State of Maine soon after the laying out of the town of Shokokon, in 1836. They remained for a short time upon lands they had entered. The fever and ague, the pest of our bottom lands at that time, was more than they could successfully contend with, and they removed to more healthy locations, Dr. Knowles going to the town. of Keokuk, Iowa, which then contained but a few hundred inhabitants, where his practice grew with the growth of that thriving city. He became one of the professors in the medical college of that place.
He died in 1880, after a successful professional career. His brother, Alfred, removed to Oquawka, where, upon the organization of the county, he became county clerk. In 1855 he removed to the city of Galesburg, this state, where he still resides.
History of Mercer and Henderson Counties.
© Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved