Obituaries (E-F)

Easley, Marshall Eyerly, George
Easley, Mary Farwell, John
Ebbert, John Farelli, Joseph
Ebbert, Lillie Fate, Mary
Ebbert, Nancy Fernetti, Buonavetia
Ebbert, Paul Fidler, Dewey
Ebbert, Vera Fidler, Drusilla
Effland, Minter Fidler, Elizabeth
Eggleston, William M. Fidler, George
Elliott, Joseph Fidler, Hester
Elliott, Vera Fidler, Raymond
Ellis, Mrs. Isaac Fidler, Vada
Ellis, Jared Foot, Sarah Paul
Ellis, John Ford, James
Ellis, John Fordyce, Clara
Ellis, Lucille Foreman, Dorothy
Ellis, Sharyl Foster, Edward
Ellis, Zelma Foster, Harry
Emmons, Mary Velma Fouts, Hester
Emry, Maud Fowler, Charles
Engle, Donald Freaner, Kittie?
Eschelman, Abram Frederick, Robert
Estes, Mrs. Lena Frazier, Joseph
Evans, Edward Frizzell, Catherine
Evans, Mary Jane Kruzan Frizell, Emaline
Ewing, Elizabeth Frizell, Nancy
  Fuller, Chauncey


Fulton County Democrat Wednesday, March 6, 1929
(Submitted by Sherry McCullough)


Poison liquor wrecked a wholesale slaughter over the week end in Peoria, and took its toll in other countries, including Fulton, with death list expected to reach 25 or more victims, according to the Peoria county coroner as several are still critically ill in hospital.

John Cox of Vermont, charged with selling the poison stuff in that city, is in the county jail with a charge of manslaughter filed against him, for having sold the liquor to Marshall Easley, one of the victims, which caused his death late Sunday night, with other similar charges intended to be filed as soon as the state's attorney assembles further evidence.

Cox is held under $10,000 bond.

The dead in Fulton county are Marshall Easley, 60, Vermont farmer : Lantz Hitz, a farmer who leaded guilty to selling and possessing liquor and paid a fine some months ago; Benjamin Teel, 60, Vermont junk dealer. Another victim was Andrew J. Heaton, 65, a Schuyler County county farmer living near Vermont who was found dead in bed Monday morning.

Charles Cox of Vermont , a much younger man, who is not related to John Cox, and Enoch Ring of Astoria are both ill from the effects of the liquor but are expected to recover, although it is feared Cox may not recover his eyesight.

Evidence at the coroner's inquest developed the testimony that Cox sold Easley a half gallon of the liquor Saturday night. The half gallon was delivered to the sheriff's deputies after Easley's death and has been sent to Peoria for analysis.

'Whitey" Fells, proprietor of the Peoria stockyards hotel, where a drinking party that resulted in five deaths occurred Saturday night, was arrested Tuesday charged with manufacturing the poison stuff. He is reported by Peoria papers to have said that he " was trying out a new recipe". Many others have been arrested in Peoria in connection with the affair. Deaths from the poison liquor have also occurred in Galesburg, Pekin, and Washington, and efforts are being made to trace other shipments which are believed to have been made to different nearby towns.

The funerals of the Vermont victims are being held today and tomorrow in that city.


Vermont Union Newspaper Tuesday March 5, 1929

Poison Liquor Kills Four Vermont Men

Time to Clean up Town

John Cox Arrested Taken To Lewistown

Four Inquests Returned Alcoholic Poisoning As Verdict

The sudden deaths of four men well known in this vicinity; Marshall Easley, Andrew J. Heaton, Benjamin Teel, and Lantz Hitz were investigated yesterday by the Fulton and Schuyler county authorities who held the theory that the deaths were caused by alcoholic poisoning.

Benjamin Teel died between 4:30 and 5 o'clock Sunday afternoon, Marshall Easley died at 10:45 Sunday evening, Andrew Heaton was found dead in his chair Monday morning. He died sometime after midnight and Lantz Hitz died at 6:30 Monday evening.

Monday afternoon Coroner Lambert, Sheriff Rorer, Deputy Sheriff Prickett, States Atty. Ray Senift, Atty Joe Martin, and Judge Mercer came down and under the leadership of Coroner Lambert, three inquest were held.

The stomachs of all the men were removed by the Coroner and Dr. C. K. Carey and have been sent to state officials for analyzation. The inquest of Andrew Heaton is still pending until the results of the analysts are known.

As a results of evidence given at the inquest John Cox, local bootlegger was arrested and taken to Lewistown last night where he will be held to see if the Grand Jury returns an indictment, which is probable since a witness says a 1/2 gallon of alcohol was secured of him Saturday night. Rumors says that the charges may be anything from bootlegging to manslaughter.

The Union sincerely hopes that these deaths will results in a cleanup of Vermont and vicinity. This tragedy might just as well have included some of the young men of the town who have been tippling as well as the ones whom it has already taken.

Perhaps the best account of the whole affair may be learned from the testimony of the witness at the inquests which the Union follows as closely as possible. These account follow.

Inquest of Marshall Easley Held about 7:30 o'clock last Night.

Jury : Walter Witchell, V. C. Boyton, Lew Edit, Luke Cayner, Harry Chick, Howard Carthers.

Miss Maxine Carrick, stenographer, took all notes in longhand.

Most of the questioning in the inquests was done by Coroner Lambert, States Attorney Senift and the juries.

We shall give only the answer making it as near story form as possible.

Witness----Mrs. Aline Easley called to the stand but kindly excused by the Coroner because of emotion making her unable to talk.

Witness-----Keith Easley.

Well, father and I came to town Saturday forenoon and I went home about 10:30 p.m. by myself. Easley said he would walk out later. He came home about 2:00 a.m. Sunday morning. I got up and coming down stairs found father sitting in a chair. He had been there all night. It was about 5:30 Sunday morning I noticed that he was very intoxicated but he did not seem to be sick. He did not say where he had been or who he was with.

I went out to do the chores then and when I came back in he was still in the chair. He didn't seem sick and didn't go to bed. After I had eaten my breakfast I cleaned up and went to town. I returned about 10:00 o'clock Sunday night and found father lying on the floor in the living room Mother was up with him. My sister and the school teacher were in bed. He seemed to be in pain and was groaning and in pain. Mother said that he didn't appear sick until about 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon. He remained on the floor for about one half an hour while I was getting help. Ward Rector came over. We lifted him and carried him in and laid him on the bed. He died March 3, 1929 at 11:45 at night.

Toward the last my father's pain seemed to lessened as he got weaker. I found one-half gallon of booze Sunday morning sitting on the step of the porch. Yes, my father threw up once. His only words to me were when I came downstairs Sunday morning, and he asked me if I was not getting up a little early.


Witness-----Delbert Onion----

Mr. Easley came to me about 10:00 p.m. Saturday night and asked if I would take him home. He did not wish to go yet. We started home at 12 p.m. He was a little intoxicated then but not more than he was at 10:00 o'clock.

Yes, he took one half gallon of alcohol home. He procurred the alcohol at John Cox's. Going home he did not seem sick.

When we left the corner Lunch Room we drove toward home and Mr. Easley asked me to stop at John Cox's which I did and we both went in. Only John and his wife were there. No I did not have a drink. No, I did not see Mr. Easley pay him for the liquor. I was not there Saturday or Sunday. I saw Andy Heaton Early Saturday evening but not at John Cox's. I did not see Marsh take a drink of liquor there or on the way home.

I knew it to be alcohol by Marsh's word.


Witness----Dr. C. K. Carey-----

I found Mr. Easley dead when I arrived shortly before 1 a.m. Monday morning. I believe his death to be caused by acute alcoholic poisoning. Yes, I treated him about 2 years for septic sore throat.

Rigor Mortis had not set in when I first saw him.

No, good alcohol would not produce such a death. It must be some poison.


Witness----Harvey Brinton----

I know nothing about the death of Marsh Easley. I didn't see him. Yes I was acquainted with him. I saw Enoch Ring and he had been drinking. He had a half pint with him but did not tell where he got it. No, he did not say he had with John Cox or who he had been with.

Enoch Ring Sunday morning and got my boy and went to the county and didn't return till four o'clock because I saw him them.


Witness -----Ward Rector-----

I was up until ten o'clock seeing about some hogs and saw Keith Easley come home. I went into the house and the telephone rang. Keith asked me to come over and I said sure. I went over to the house and went about 10:30 p.m. Keith met me at the dor and said to come in. Mr. Easley was lying on the floor. Keith asked what we should do and I said to get him to bed. We both put him to bed and then went into another room and sat down. I could hear cattling in his breathing from there and he looked bad, but seemed to be resting easily.

We went out o get Keith's car out of the mud hole in front of the house so Dr. Carey who had been called could get by and I went on home after that to tell my wife about it.

When I went back to see Mr. Easley Keith met me at the door and said it was too late.

Yes, while I was there he was unconscious and groaning. He didn't recognize anyone.


The jury after deliberating returned a verdict of acute alcoholic poisoning as the cause of Mr. Easley's death.

Inquest of Benjamin Teel

Jury the same as in Mr. Easley's inquest.

Witness----Jake Bollinger-----

I live across from where Mr. Teel does.

I heard Mr. Teel calling and I went over to see what was the matter. I went in and Mr. Teel said that he believed he was going to die. He had bad pain over his heart. I could tell he was drunk and I stayed about 5 minutes.

Mr. and Mrs. George Wright and Mr. and Mrs. Will hunter were visiting us and during dinner they said that they heard him hollering again so Will Hunter and I went over.

It was about 3 P.M. then. He looked like he was dying. He was past talking. I sent my grandson Will to get the doctor.

We live about two blocks from the John Cox home. No, I didn't see Mr. Teel there. But I believe that he was intoxicated.

When I went over the last time he was lying on the bed it was hard for him to get his breath and he had his head back and was unconscious.

Will Bair and Floyd Frazier came over from the lunch counter and he was just gasping his last when we went into the door.

The last I saw him before he called us was Sunday morning when he was staggering about the yard.

His occupation? Well, for the past week or two he had been a junk buyer.


Witness-----Dr. Carey------

I was called to see Ben Teel yesterday about 6 p.m. I called Harry chick to go along and show me where he lived. He had died before I got there. Rigor Mortis had set in and he was stiffing up. He had thrown up all over the floor. I could hardly differentiate between the odors but I believe I smelled alcohol. My opinion is that the same thing caused his death that caused Marshall Easley's.


Witness----- Will Hunter-----

I got home at 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon. The folks said that he had been howling for help so we went over to see what was wrong. Mr. Teel looked funny and his hands were cold when we saw him. He was Lying on the bed and had thrown up all over the floor. I saw no evidence of liquor in the house but there was the odor of alcohol.

He was still breathing and was lying back and taking it easy. His hands were laying up above his head and he was breathing just a little.

I saw him in the yard in the morning and he was the whole yard to stagger in. Saturday I saw him and he was sober at 11 a.m. I stayed a little while and then went went for help. I came back with Will Fair. He died about 5 o'clock.


Witness-----Mr. George Wright-----

I went over about 4:30 p.m. Sunday with Bollinger and Hunter. I smelled an odor of alcohol and knew him to be a drinking man.


The jury returned a verdict of death by acute alcohol poisoning.


Inquest over Lantz Hitz

At Table Grove about 11 p.m. Monday night.

Jury of six Table Grove men.

Witness---------Dr. Carey-----

I was called at 8 a.m. March 4th to see Lantz Hitz for the first time. I found him to have gastric irritation or a pain in the stomach. I gave (unreadable) to counter act the poison. I saw him again about noon and he was very bad. I was called again about 5 p.m. Then he had almost no pulse and had started chain stokes breathing. I gave him a hypo of caffeine, sodium and benzoiate. His end was near. Acute alcohol poisoning caused his death.

His pupils were dilated and he had no reflexes. He was conscious 8 a.m. We had no conversation as to how it occurred. He could answer questions then. His pains started at 10 a.m. He was conscious at noon but could not talk rationally. He claimed he could not see at that time. It must be a poison alcohol to cause blindness such as he had. Pure alcohol would not cause it.


Witness-----Mrs. Nettie Hitz-----

Mr. Hitz got home Saturday night March 2nd about 12:30. I couldn't tell that he had been drinking. He brought the groceries home that I had told him to get. He had a bottle with him with about 1 1/2 inches of alcohol in a pint bottle.

My daughter and husband came on Sunday morning and we sat down with Mr. Hitz and played a game of pitch before breakfast. He did not say that he was sick. About noon Dean McKinley and his wife decided that they must go home as the roads were bad and Mr. Hitz drove his Ford to a hole and helped them through and then he came back. Then he went to the bedroom and got a pillow and a sheepskin coat and lay down on the floor behind the stove. I told him he better go to bed so he did. That evening he would eat no supper but took an egg nog which I fixed for him. We went to bed as usual and he slept until 1:30 a.m. He woke up and said he was cold and went into the south bedroom where it was warmer.

Monday morning when he got up he said that he believed he was going to die. He ate no breakfast but had thrown up several times during the night. He didn't come out of the room that morning but got up several times and came to the door. He died in the south bedroom.

Mr. Hitz had been sick all winter and had told us to prepare for his death. He didn't mind except that he was worrying for the little girl.

About 10:30 Monday morning he raised up in bed and said that he wanted a drink of water which I gave him and then he said he couldn't see.

He didn't take a drink out of his bottle after he got home Saturday night ,because I took it away from him and we poured it out. I couldn't tell whether it was alchol or not. It had no smell and might of been just a liquid.

I took the cork out and smelled it. and yes it smelled like ammonia and had sort of an acid smell which burned in the nose.

He did not say where he had been or who he had been with.

His eyes got red about noon and his arms and legs kept drawing up. I believe that he couldn't see because of the darkness of the room. After the hypo he became unconscious.

All day he threw himself about in the bed. His kidney's acted once in the morning.

I didn't look to see if there was any burns about the mouth.

I was not alarmed when he said he was going to die. I was prepared for that. Yes, Mr. Hitz would drink some. These pains never bothered him before while drinking. He passed away at 6:45 p.m. Monday.

About a week ago he was loading some wood and slipped and fell, laying him up for three days. He had been ruptured or sometime and I believe that contributed to his death.


Witness------Mrs. Dean McKinley of Bushnell.

We came Sunday morning between 8 and 9 a.m., played cards and went home about noon.

Monday morning we were called and came back on the noon train.

When we arrived he seemed to have pain and kept turning in bed. His stomach and back hurt. Yes, he threw up just a spit or two. Afternoon he looked starry. I didn't get to see the bottle.

Father told me that his stomach had been hurting him and thought it had to been caused by the rupture. No I could not tell that he had been drinking. He didn't tell me where he had been or who he had been with. The pupils of his eyes were dilated , I noticed at once.


After deliberation the jury returned a verdict of death caused by alcoholic poisoning.


An inquest was held yesterday at the Andy Heaton home by Coroner Munson of Rushville under Schuyler county authority. His stomach has been removed and the the verdict is pending the results of the analysis.

Three others were ill yesterday but are recovering nicely.


According to the latest news from Lewistown a charge of manslaughter will be filed this afternoon against Mr. John Cox who was arrested Monday night by Deputy Sheriff's Fair and Prickett.

(Submitted by Sherry McCullough)

Back to top

TABLE GROVE: Joseph Elliott

Joseph Elliott passed away at his home in Table Grove on Thursday March 13, 1919 at the age of 74 years, 4 months and 27 days. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the Christian church at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Waggoner of Ipava. Burial in the City cemetery. HE is survived by one son Addison of California and three daughters, Lillian and Margaret at home and Mrs. Lucretia Nichols of Niant Illinois. Mr. Elliott was associated with the people of this community in a business way for years and for a number of years was Rural Carrier of Route One.

(unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Diane Herd)

Back to top

Lucille Ellis

Lucille, daughter of Thomas and Malinda Ellis was born in Harris township, Fulton County, Illinois October 23, 1894 and passed to her Heavenly home July 21, 1923. She leaves to mourn her untimely death, her heart broken parents and two brothers, Ernest of Rockford, Ill. and Carl, with his wife and little daughter Virginia Flo and baby son, Robert Oscar, living close by on their home place, where Lucille delighted to spend hours, loving and helping care for the children, which she idolized. She will be greatly missed from both homes, by those who loved her so dearly. In revival services held in Point Pleasant church, by Rev. Hamilton in 1909 or 1910, she was converted and joined the church, and during the remainder of her life was always ready to assist in Christian work, either by song or testimony, and also ready to help in work, for the choir or Aid Society.

While attending school at State Normal, Macomb Illinois, and also while teaching the home district school, she assumed her church work when possible.

Several years ago she moved with her parents from Point Pleasant vicinity to her late home, southeast of Smithfield, and since attended the U.B. church at Smithfield, taking interest in the church work. At the time of her death she was president of the Otterbein guild of that church. She leaves many relatives sorrowing on account of her death. Being of a pleasant disposition, she had a large circle of friends, deeply grieved.

We are wont to ask, shy so useful a life is so soon cut off, and when dark clouds surround us, through blinding tears, why such bitter sorrow? But God knoweth best and works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform, and each day teaching us life is only a span and very uncertain, but death is certain. Lucille has paid the debt we all must pay, and gone home to her God, whom she loved and served, and to meet her little sister, Ruth, who passed to the Great Beyond, December 10, 1906.

Funeral services were held Tuesday, July 24, at 2:00 p.m. at Point Pleasant church, conducted by Rev. Stubblefield of London Mills, assisted by Rev. Martin of Smithfield and Rev. Towsley of Adair, by one of the largest crowds ever attending Point Pleasant. Burial in adjoining cemetery.

(unknown newspaper, July 1923, submitted by Diane Herd)

Back to top

Vera R. Elliott

Vera R. Elliott, 99, of Canton, died Monday, June 25, 2007, at 5:25 p.m. at Heartland Health Care in Canton.

[She was] Born in Canton, June 27, 1907, to (George) Henry and Clara Mae (Ehresman) Rock. She married Avery K. "Red" Elliott on June 15, 1930, in Elmhurst. He died May 25, 1968.

Also preceding her in death were her parents, a daughter, Jean Aldrich, two brothers and three sisters.

Surviving are a son, Justin (wife Sharon) Elliott of Canton; a son-in-law, Neil Aldrich of Canton; three grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and several step-great-grandchildren.

She and her husband operated a Gamble Store in Rushville from the late 1930s to the early 1950s, at which time they began farming. She was a grade school teacher at several rural schools in both

Fulton and Schuyler counties, retiring from Pritchard-Clark Elementary School in 1972.

Visitation will be Thursday, June 28 from 5-8 p.m. at Murphy-Sedgwick Memorial Home in Canton. There will be a private graveside service at a later date with burial in the Foster Cemetery.

Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society or the Salvation Army.

(The Rushville Times, Wednesday, June 27, 2007, page 3B, column 5, submitted by Gaile Thomas)

Back to top

Sharyl Dale Ellis

Sharyl Dale Ellis - 62
7/3/1944 - 6/11/2007

Sharyl Dale Ellis, 62, of Banner passed away at 11:11 p.m. Monday June 11, 2007 at Graham Hospital in Canton.

She was born in Canton, Ill. at Graham Hospital on July 3, 1944 to Harold and Gladys (Babbitt) Strode.

She married Monte J. Ellis on June 3, 1961; he survives.

Also surviving is one son Eric (Cathy) Ellis and 4 grandchildren Caitlin, Ashleigh, Vanessa, and Claire of Peoria, her mother Gladys of Canton, 2 sisters Carole Morse of Fairview and Susan (David) Probyn of Banner, son in law Frank Hill and grandchild Kristopher of Prentice, long time friend Dan Barnes and many relatives and friends.

Sharyl was preceded in death by her brother David, her father Harold, and her beloved daughter Kathy.

Sharyl was a registered nurse for many years last working as a hospice nurse for Graham Hospital.

Throughout her life, Sharyl put others before herself, enjoyed gardening and had an irreverent and bawdy sense of humor. She had an interest in genealogy and thrived in making life interesting and fulfilling for others.

When she passed away she was with loving family and friends.

Cremation rites have been accorded with no visitation or graveside services at her request.

Family and friends will be received at the home of Susan and David Probyn, 160 E. Hyman, Banner, Ill. at 2:00 p.m. Saturday June 16, 2007, for a celebration of life memorial. Oaks-Hines Funeral Home in Canton is in charge of arrangements.

At Sharyl’s request, memorial contributions may be made to her 5 grandchildren c/o South Side Bank in Peoria.

Saturday June 16, 2007, for a celebration of life memorial.
Family and friends will be received at the home of Susan and David Probyn, 160 E. Hyman, Banner, Ill. at 2:00 p.m. Saturday June 16, 2007

(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Danni Hopkins)

Back to top

Obituary for Abram Eschelman

Jan. 5, 1894—"At his residence southwest of town, Abram Eshelman died Thursday, Dec. 28, 1893 aged 67 years. Funeral was held from the Dunkard Church Sunday, Jan. 1, and remains were laid to rest in the Dunkard cemetery.

He is an old resident of the township and leaves five children, four boys and one girl, all of whom are grown. The children are Albert, Benjamin, Miss Mate, Clinton and Ed." (Farmington Bugle, Jan. 5, 1894, submitted by Dorene Fox-Sprague)

Back to top

Mrs. Elizabeth Ewing Dies Sunday Morning At Home Of Son

Mrs. Elizabeth Ewing died at the home of her son, William Ewing, in St. David, at 12:35 o'clock yesterday morning, following a long illness.

She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Moose and was born in Astoria Aug. 15, 1865. She was married in 1875 at Astoria to Sherman Ewing, who died July 20, 1915. She is survived by three children: William, Maud and Fred Ewing. There are five surviving grandchildren.

She is also survived by the following brothers and sisters: Samuel Moose and C.C. Moose of Astoria, Jacob Moose in the west, Mrs. John Schaeffer, Mrs. Jacob Schaeffer and Mrs. C. Danner, all of Astoria, Mrs. Ella Willock of Table Grove, Mrs. William Beck of Baders, Mrs. Edwin Becker of Chicago and Mrs. J. A. Moore of Peoria.
Mrs. Ewing has resided in Illinois all her life with the exception of a year spent in Missouri. For several years she was a resident of Dunfermline.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist Protestant church in St. David at 2 o'clock this afternoon and interment was in the Highbridge cemetery.
( Note: The correct date of her marriage is 27 Feb 1886, in Astoria, Fulton Co.)

(Canton Daily Ledger, Sept. 24, 1923, submitted by Anne Marie Willis)

Back to top


    Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Fidler, of Utica, widow of Samuel Fidler, died at 7:10 o'clock Sunday morning at the home of her son-in-law, David Smith, in Banner township.
    The cause of Mrs. Fidler's death was pneumonia, resulting from a cold contracted in coming from her home to take care of her daughter in the latter's illness.
     Mrs. Fidler was one of Fulton county's oldest residents. She was born in Missouri, Dec. 17, 1828. In 1830 she came to Fulton county with her parents the late Jacob McCan and wife, and had lived in Utica ever since. She leaves four sons Willard, John, Warren and Minor. The only daughter is Mrs. Smith. D. M. McCan, of Hebron, Ind.; J. J. McCan, of Utica, and T. J. McCan, of Canton, are brothers, and Mrs. Thomas Romine, of Canton, is a sister. Mrs. Fidler's husband died at Utica, Feb. 18, 1868.
     Funeral serevices were held at the Smith residence, on the Ashby farm, at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, the Rev. J. W. Johnson officiating. (Canton Weekly Register, Canton, Il. April 20 1899, submitted by Danni Hopkins)

Back to top


     Mrs. Drusilla (Darthulia) Fidler, widow of George Fidler, died at 12:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon, at her home in Utica, following several months of illness, caused by heart trouble and the infirmatives of advanced age generally.
     Mrs. Fidlers was 77 years old and had lived nearly all her live in or near Utica. George and D. Fidler of Utica and Mrs. Joseph Creek and Mrs. Leonard Creek of Orion Township.
Other near relatives are two sisters Mrs. Catherine Tompkins of Utica and Mrs. Martha Duggan, residing west of Canton.
     Mrs. Fidler was the oldest resident of that part of Fulton Co. and had a host of friends by whom she was held in greatest esteem.
     The funeral will be held at the home in Utica, at 10:30 o'clock Tuesday morning, and burial will be in the Walnut cemetery. [Looks like part of this is missing: She was born August 22, 1832 in Jackson Co., In. and died October 3, 1909 in Utica (Banner), Fulton Co., Il. Married George W. Fidler IV May 31, 1857 in Fulton Co., Il. Her maiden name was Guilliams.
] (Canton Daily Register, October ?, 1909, submitted by Danni Hopkins)

Back to top

Dorothy Foreman

Foreman- Dorothy P. Wife of Thomas E. Foreman. Mother of Hector R., Julius E., Fred K., and Thomas J. Foreman. Sister of Jennie Wolf. 10 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren. Services Tues. 2p.m. Greenwood Mortuary. Entombment Greenwood Mausoleum.

(San Diego Union, Jun. 29, 1969, submitted by Clinton & Maribel Payne)

Back to top


     Relatives received word Monday of the death of Mrs. Lena, wife of Wm. ESTES of Rosyln, Wash. The family moved from Bryant, Il. to Washington several years ago. (Canton Daily Register, Canton, Il., Feb 27 1901, pg. 6, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top

Obituary: Minter Effland

Minter Effland, son of Charles C. and Jane Vashti (Rutledge) Effland died at his home four and one half miles north east of Table Grove, Illinois on April 30, 1925 after five days of serious illness.

Mr. Effland was born in Mount Township McDonough County Ill. near New Philadelphia Ill. on Aug 21, 1880. On October 17, 1908 he was married to Miss Bertha Leo Strode. To them were born two children, Charles Burdette and Marjorie. Besides his wife and children, he leaves to mourn his departure a loving father and mother and a sister.

For many years, Mr. Effland has been in poor health but was always patient and never complained of his sufferings. He loved his home, was a loving father and considerate husband, a warm friend and kind neighbor and he will be missed from the group in which he lived.

The funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the Barker Cemetery, four miles north of Table Grove, Ill.

** Minter Effland is buried in Miner cemetery just west of the Barker cemetery - the fence had been removed between them.

(unknown newspaper, ???, 1925, submitted by Diane Herd)

Back to top


     Mary Velma, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. EMMONS died Wednesday at the family residence in Bryant. Pneumonia. Age 4 months. Buried Wilcoxen Cemetery. (Canton Daily Register, Canton, Il., Feb 28 1901, pg. 4, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top



Scroll down to find George Eyerly's obit. (Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Jan McRevey)



Back to top


     John M. FARWELL died Sept. 25th, 1900 at his home in Woodland Township, Fulton County, Il. at the age of 97 years. (Canton Weekly Register, Canton, Il., Oct 4 1900, pg. 10, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top

Mary Ellen "Molly" Douglas Fate Obituary

     Mary Ellen, daughter of William G. and Anne Johnson Douglas, was born in Columbus, Ohio, Jan. 17, 1846, and died Nov. 28, 1928 at the age of 82 years 10 months and 11 days at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A. B. Jenkins of Canton. She came to Fulton county with her parents at a very early age and had resided in this county ever since, making her home in Smithfield for the past 30 years. On Sept. 7, 1865, she was united in marriage to James Martin Fate. To this union, were born nine children: Mrs. Emma Irwin and Mrs. Mayme Jenkins of Canton, Mrs. Carrie Rector and George Fate of Smithfield, Charles Fate of Abingdon, Earnest Fate of Tulsa, Okla., and Mrs. Stella Gerber of Muskogee, Okla. A daughter Mrs. Annie Irwin and one son Jimmie preceded her in death. There are 14 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren. In January, 1901, she was united in marriage to Samuel Knock, who died in October, 1916. When a young woman she was converted and united with the Methodist church at Smithfield, of which she was a member at her death. A patient sufferer, she was loved and esteemed by all who knew her. She leaves to mourn her loss, besides relatives already listed, one brother, T. C. Douglas of Smithfield. Funeral services were held at the Methodist church at 10 o'clock Saturday morning with the Rev. Walter T. Ward, assisted by the Rev. T. W. Thompson on Canton, officiating. Burial was at the Howard cemetery. Floral tributes were many and very beautiful. Her grandsons were pallbearers. They were: Russell Rector, Earl Irwin, Ernie Joachim, Robert J. Ewan, Wyatt Barker and Beryl Baughman. Her granddaughters, Miss Hazel Irwin, and Mrs. Russell Rector beautifully rendered several songs.
(Cuba Journal, Cuba, Il., Nov. ??, 1928, submitted by Steven Fate)

Back to top


     The funeral of Mrs. Isaac Ellis was held Tuesday morning at 11:00 at Brock's Chapel, near Smithfield. The Rev. N. M. Douglas of Cuba officiating and internment was in the cemetery adjoining.
     Eliza Jane Cameron was born October 15, 1831 in Bernadotte, Il. and spent most of her life in Fulton Co. At the age of 21 she was united in marriage to Isaac Ellis, who with 7 children, survives her. The children are as follows: Alonzo, who resides at home, Mrs. Mary Pickering of Sherman Co., Ks., Mrs. Adaline Kent of Marietta, James of Stevens Co., Ks., Wilbert of Smithfield, Mrs. Elizabeth Miller of near Smithfield, and John who lives at home. One brother James lives near Smithfield, and a sister, Mrs. Kate Donaldson, resides in Ogden, Ia.
(Canton Weekly Register, Canton, Illinois, Thursday, March 31, 1910, submitted by Jennifer Cook)

Back to top


Edward Fitch Evans died very suddenly Friday afternoon at 4:45 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. R. J. Nahm in the northeast part of the city. It came as a shock to all of our people that "taps" has so suddenly been sounded for this brave old soldier. Altho he had not been well for several days, his death was unexpected.

Mr. Evans was born in Ellisville, March 10, 1840. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Fitch. His Father died when he was but a few months old, and by a special act of the legislature he was adopted by his uncle, Henry B. Evans, one of Lewistown's most prominent pioneer citizens. His entire life has been spent here. He was a most ardent Democrat, and when the call to the colors came in 1862 he enlisted in grand old Company A. of the 103rd Illinois infantry. He was mustered out with the regiment on June 21, 1865.

On December 24. 1868, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Mary M. Steele. (Note: Should be Mary J.)To them were born four children, one dying in infancy, three of whom survive. They are Henry B. of San Luis Obispo, Cal., Mrs. Robert J. Nahm of this city and Mrs. Willis Talbott of Chicago. He also leaves a step-daughter, Mrs. Flora Coons of Oregon, and two sisters, Mrs. Sadie Belts of this city and Mrs. Ellen Taylor of Chicago.

Eleven years ago Mrs. Evans died and since that time he has made his home with the children.

For many years Mr. Evans carried the mail from here to Rushville, and after the C. B. & Q. railroad was completed he had a mail route west to the city. Later he had charge of the scale house at the stock yards and for Pittman's elevator.

Mr. Evans was a thoro Democrat and always interested in the work of his party. He was a most loving husband and father, a most loyal citizen, and faithful friend.
He was a life long friend of the late editor of the Democrat. He said to the writer a few days ago: " I miss William so, it just seems as if I cannot stand it with him and mother (his wife) both gone. It is so lonesome I just look forward to the time when they carry me over on the hill to rest forever by mother's side." He has his wish- this valiant old soldier and he sleeps well beside the beloved wife of his youth, and midst his old comrades and friends of days gone by.

The funeral services took place on Sunday afternoon at his daughter's home. They were in charge of the Rev. John T. Sullivan.

The comrades of the G. A. R. attended the funeral in body. Burial was in Oak Hill.

(The Fulton County Democrat, June 21, 1916, submitted by Debra Hill)

Back to top



Scroll down to find Hester Fouts' obit. (Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Jan McRevey)




Back to top



Scroll down to find Kittie? Freaner's obit. (Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Jan McRevey)




Back to top

Robert Frederick, 14-months-old son of Hurley and Ethel Frederick, died at the family home in this city Tuesday morning at 10 a. m., death resulting from pneumonia, which followed an attack of the whooping cough. The child was born in Lewistown Dec. 11, 1922.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 10 a. m. from the home conducted by Rev. H. C. Reichel of the Illinois Street Christian church. Burial will be in Oak Hill cemetery. (Peoria Transcript, Feb. 15, 1923, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top

     Maud, the infant daughter of Lewis R. and Ella Emry of the East Locust St., died Saturday morning at 1:45 o'clock. The age of the little one was 7 months and 25 days, and the cause of death was spasms. The funeral took place this afternoon at 3:30 o'clock from the residence, the Rev. Alex Smith officiating. (unknown newspaper, unknown date, submitted by Kristen Dansby)

Back to top


Sarah Paul Foot 

    Sarah Paul was born in Ohio, May 30, 1840 and died February 1, 1904, being almost 64 years of age. She came to Illinois with her parents while yet a child and was married to John Foot in 1859.  To them were born 10 children.  Those living are Ambrose of Buckeye; Mrs. Cynthia Hoar, Mrs. Mary Miller, Mrs. Nancy Westerfield and Loren Foot, Canton;  Lyman of Civer; Joseph and Henry Foot of Iowa.  James died in infancy, and Mrs. Etta Miller died December 6, 1901.  Her husband died July 8, 1897.  The subject of this sketch united with the Christian Church when only 16 years of age.  She was a devoted and faithful member.  The funeral was held at the Buckeye Church, and conducted by the Rev.  W. N. Shinn of Cuba.  The remains werer lain to rest beside those of her husband in the cemetery adjoining.  The relatives have the sympathy of the entire community. [Another source has her being born June 10, 1840 & dying February 11, 1904](February 11, 1904, reprint from Fulton County Democrat, Oct. 6, 1971, submitted by Jennifer Cook)

Back to top



Mrs. Mary Jane Evans, wife of Edward F. Evans died Saturday, at her home in Lewistown, from typhoid fever and heart disease. She was a daughter of the late Henry (Note: this should be Findley, Henry is her brother) Kruzan, of Lewistown township and was in her sixty-forth year.

One son and three daughters are living. (Canton Daily Register, Oct. 2, 1905, pg. 6, col. 2, submitted by Debbie Hill)



     This beloved wife and mother died at the family home in Lewistown, Sept.30, of typhoid fever. Her maiden was Mary Jane Kruzan and she was born in Lewistown tp., 11 Nov., 1842, her parents being Finley and Maria Johnson-Kruzan, honored pioneers of Fulton county. She was married to Edward F. Evans, Dec. 24, 1867, at her parents' home three miles southwest of Lewistown. Her honored father and the boy she married to were singularly both members of Co. A. of the famous 103d Regiment, both remaining until the close of the war, the regiment being mustered out, June 21, 1865. Mr. Evans, like his wife, has lived in Lewistown from his childhood, neither ever having any other home. There were four children, all living and present at the death and burial of their mother; Mrs. Flora B. Coon, Goldendale, Wash. Henry B. Evans, Watsonville, Cal., Mrs. Carrie E. Nahm, Lewistown, Mrs. Ollie B. Talbott, Chicago.
     Mrs. Evans as wife and mother had few equals and no superior. Her home was church and club- her husband and babies her idols. She had the joy to live to see her son and daughters come to man and womanhood, respected and honored by all who know them. And thus has been broken one of the happiest and most devoted families Lewistown has ever had. Our old friend in his desolation is blessed with children who adore him and by a host of old comrades and friends who will spare no kindly ministrations to make his last days comfortable and bright with reverence and love.
     Funeral services were held in the Presbyterian chapel, Sunday afternoon, by the Rev. Dr. B. Y. George of Elmwood, the Reverend friend of the family, assisted by Rev. Dr. Crissman of Chicago.
(unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Debbie Hill)

Back to top

John L. Ebbert

     John Leonard Ebbert, son of John and Nancy Stambaugh Trone Ebbert, was born Oct. 30, 1888, near Browning. He passed away Sunday afternoon, May 25, 1969, at the Culbertson Memorial hospital where he had been a patient for the past 10 days. He had been in failing health for several years.
     He was married to Lillie Goodin August 14, 1913. To this happy union eight children, were born: Victor, Mrs. Doris Prather and Mrs. Leona Smith, all of Rushville; Louis and Mrs. Lucille Curtis, of Ray; and Mrs. Mary Hill of St. Ignace, Mich. Paul who preceded his father in death in 1968, and Barbara Joan in infancy. He was also preceded in death by 19 half brothers and sisters.
John was reared to young manhood near Browning where he was educated and attended church. He lived his entire life in Schuyler County.
     Surviving in addition to his widow and children are 24 grandchildren and 19 great-grandchildren.
Funeral services were held on Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Worthington Funeral home, with the Rev. Frank Goodin officiating. Burial was in Christian Neck cemetery. (Rushville Times, Jun. 5, 1969, submitted by Scottie McCoy)

Back to top

Rites for Mrs. Lillie Ebbert Held Here on Monday

     Mrs. Lillie R. Ebbert, 82, died Friday at Culbertson Memorial hospital. Funeral services were held on Monday at Worthington Funeral Home, with the Rev. Wesley Trendle officiating. Burial was in Christian Neck cemetery, north of Rushville.
     She was born Sept. 17, 1893, at Elizabethtown, Ky., the daughter of Frank and Debbie Tweddell Goodin. She married John Ebbert on Aug. 14, 1913, in Schuyler County. He preceded her in death May 25, 1969.
     Surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Leona Smith of Rushville, Mrs. Lucille Curtis of rural Rushville, Mrs. Mary Hill of St. Ignace, Mich., and Mrs. Doris Prather of Rushville; two sons, Louis of rural Astoria and Victor of Havana; 24 grandchildren; 46 great grandchildren; two great-great-grandchildren; two brothers, Rev. Frank Goodin of Abingdon and James Goodin of Davenport, Iowa; and one sister, Mrs. Maude Wright of Canton. Also preceding her in death were one son, Paul one infant daughter, Joan; and one brother, Herbert.
     The people of this community also send sympathy to the family of Lillie Ebbert for the loss of their mother and grandmother. (Unknown paper and date, submitted by Scottie McCoy)

Back to top

Mrs. Nancy Ebbert (Stambaugh)

     Nancy Fitz Stambaugh, daughter of Michael and Nancy Fitz Stambaugh, was born in Hanover county, Maryland, April 20, 1842, and died at her home near Browning, April 16, 1924, at the age of 81 years, 11 months and 27 days.
     She was united in marriage to Abraham S. Trone in June, 1858, in Fulton County. To this union were born eleven children, namely: Sarah Catherine, Jacob S., Nancy Isabel, Mary Elizabeth, Susanna Ellen, Rebecca A., Henry S., Adeline Melissa, Matilda Louise, Ephriam S. and Carl A.
     The husband preceded her in death, July 8, 1883. She was again united in marriage to John Ebbert, Nov. 22, 1887. To this union was born one son, John Ebbert Jr.
    The children who preceded her to the Great Beyond are Mary E. Crampton; Adeline Parks, Matilda L. Smith and Ellen Abbott.
She with her parents moved to York County, Pa., at the age of one year, and at the age of seven came with the family by wagon, and settled all a farm in Fulton County, about three miles south west of Astoria, in the Oak Grove neighborhood.
     Those left to mourn her loss are one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Bricker of Astoria, and eight children namely: Sarah Shaffer of Summum, Jacob S, of Browning, Belle Ewing of near Ray, Rebecca Stroops of Browning, Henry S. of Browning, Ephriam S. at home, Carl A. of Browning, and John Ebbert of near Ray.
     Forty-eight grandchildren and twenty-eight great-grandchildren, and a host of relatives and friends are left to mourn.
     She united with the Brethren church at South Fulton church in l888. She remained a faithful Christian until the spirit took its flight to the great Eternal home.
     She was a kind and loving disposition, ever willing to share the burdens of others and will be sadly missed by all who knew her.
She has been in ill health for some time but the end was unexpected.
     Funeral services were held Sat­urday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock, at the Ridgeville church, conducted by Rev. H. Lind of Astoria; interment in Ridgeville, cemetery.

Card of Thanks-We wish to thank our many friends for the kindness shown us during our bereavement. The Children. (Rushville Times, April 24, 1924, submitted by Scottie McCoy)


Mrs. Nancy Ebbert Dies at Her Home Near Browning

     Nancy Fitz Stambaugh, daughter of Michael and Nancy Isabel Fitz Stambaugh was born in Hanover County, Maryland, April 20, 1842 and passed away at her home near Browning April 16, 1924, aged 81 years, 11 months and 26 days. She was united in marriage to Abraham S. Trone of Fulton County, Ill. About June 1858. To this union was born eleven children. She leaves to mourn her departure, three daughters and five sons, namely: Sarah Shaffer of Summum, Jacob S. of Browning, Isabel Ewing of Ray, Rebecca Stroops of Browning, Ephraim S. at home, Carl A. of Browning and John Ebbert Jr. of Ray, also 48 grand children and 28 great-grand-children, all of whom survive except four daughters, namely: Mary Trone Crampton, Adeline Parks, Matilda Smith and Ellen Abbott. The husband preceded her in death, July 8, 1883.
     She was again united in marriage to John Ebbert, Nov. 22, 1887. He died November 11, 1894.
     She moved to York county, Pennsylvania with her parents when about one year old and at the age of seven came to Illinois with family, making the trip by wagon and settled on a farm in Fulton county about three miles southwest of Astoria in the Oak Grove neighborhood. She united with the Church of the Brethren in 1888 and gave her heart to God and has remained a faithful Christian until the Spirit took is flight to God who gave it.
     She was of a kind and loving disposition, always willing to share the burden of others. She has been in poor health for some time, but the end came unexpected.
     We wish to thank our many friends for the kindness given us during our bereavement. Services were held at the Ridgeville church, Saturday by Elder A. H. Lind. Interment in the Ridgeville Cemetery. (Astoria Argus-Searchlight, Apr. 23, 1924, submitted by Scottie McCoy)

Back to top

Paul Eugene Ebbert, son of John L. and Lillie Goodin Ebbert, was born November 13, 1922 in Schuyler County. He passed away at the Veteran's hospital in Phoenix, Arizona at 8:25 a.m., Nov. 16, 1968. He had been in failing health for many years. He was married to Joann Marquis March 28, 1948. To this happy union four sons were born Ronald, Ricky, Steven and David, all at home. Besides his wife and sons he is survived by his parents of Ray: two brothers, Louis of Ray and Victor of Rushville; four sisters, Mrs. Leona Smith and Mrs. Doris Prather of Rushville, Mrs. Lucille Curtis of Ray and Mrs. Mary Hill of St. Ignace, Michigan. He was preceded in death by an infant sister, Barbara Joan. Paul received his education in Schuyler County, and enlisted in the Navy in 1941, at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor. The full time of his enlistment was spent in the South Pacific during World War II. He was aboard the U.S. Cruiser, Helena when it was sunk in the Battle of Kula Gulf on July 6, 1943, and after surviving this tragedy was aboard the cruisers Providence and Houston before receiving his honorable discharge in 1946. He was a farmer and lived in Schuyler County until moving to Arizona for his health five years ago. He was a member of the American Legion Post No.4 at Rushville, and the V. F. W. at Mesa, Arizona. He was a kind and loving husband and father, and took much pride in his four sons, and his home was his castle. His kind disposition won him many friends during his span of life. Service's were held Wednesday, November 20, at Gibbons Garden Chapel in Mesa, Arizona, with Reverend M. J. Zaldivar officiating. Interment was in Mesa City cemetery. Full military honors were conducted at graveside. (Unknown paper and date, submitted by Scottie McCoy)

Back to top

Vera Ebbert

RUSHVILLE - Vera M. Ebbert, 85, of 370 S. Monroe St. died at 2:50 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 31, 1994, at Culbertson Memorial Hospital. Born Aug. 27, 1909, in Oakland Township, Schuyler County, to Arthur W. and Sylvia Rakestraw Hickle, she married Paul Schisler in 1933 in Astoria. He died in 1937. She married Louis Ebbert on Dec. 31, 1949, in Virginia, Ill. He survives. Also surviving are one son, Neal Schisler of Springfield; one daughter, Barbara Morey of Anna; two stepdaughters, Shirley Crumley of Canton and Judy Jones of Rushville; nine grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren. Four brothers preceded her in death. Graveside services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at South Fulton Cemetery near Astoria. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday at Worthington Funeral Home in Rushville. (Unknown paper and date, submitted by Scottie McCoy)

Back to top


Bardolph News: Mrs. Catharine Frizzell died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. S.V. Portlock of this place on last friday morning, aged 91 years 3 months and 25 days. The deceased had been an invalid for many months from the failure of her physical powers with other complications, so her death was not unexpected and came rather as a blessed relief than a dreaded misfortune.

Funeral services were held at the M.E. Church in this place on Saturday, conducted by Rev. C.A. Wright, after which the remains were conveyed to the Mound M.E. cemetery and laid by the side of those of the husband.

Catharine Lindsay was born in Raltinore County, Maryland, December 31, 1810. In 1835 she was married to Joshua Frizzell. To this union were born two sons and three daughters - Nancy L., wife of S.V. Portlock of this place, Margaret C. wife of George Barker of the Barkers's Grove neighborhood; Joshua B. residing in Kansas, Edward now deceased and George H.

The husband died on February 12, 1892, thus terminating a companionship over 47 years.

In the year 1836 the deceased united with the M.E. church, remaining a consistant member during the remainder of her days.

Grandmother Frizzell outlived her day and generation. She belonged to that fast vanishing class of pioneers whose virtues and accomplishments were as rugged as the character of their lives were strengthened and sacrificing. She is spoken of as a woman of fine character, a kind neighbor and a good wife and neighbor.

(Note: died April 26, 1902)

(Bardolph News, April 1902, submitted by Diane Herd)

Back to top

Mrs. J. B. Frizell Dead.

In renewing his subscription I. L. Rhodes of Good Hope sends the following clipping from a Walla Walla (Wash.) paper:
“Mrs. Emaline Frizell, wife of J. Frizell, who resides in the Valley Home addition one mile east of town, died yesterday afternoon of paralysis. Mrs. Frizell was for many years an active member of the Women’s Relief Corps. She leaves four grown children. Irwin Frizell, the only one living in Walla Walla, is a mail carrier. The funeral will take place from his late residence at 1 o’clock p. m. Friday.”
     Mrs. Frizell was born and raised in Fulton county and was a daughter of the pioneer physician of Farmers township, Dr. J. S. Portlock. The brothers and sister surviving her are: J. L. Portlock of New London, Ia., S. V. Portlock of Bardolph, Il., W. P. Portlock of Galesburg, Mrs. Wm. Allen of Macomb and Mrs. I. L. Rhodes of Good Hope. (Unknown paper and date, submitted by Deanna Paul)

Back to top

Nancy L. Frizell

Obituary: The following obituary was pronounced as a part of the funeral service:
Nancy L. Frizell, oldest child of Joshua and Catherine Frizell, was born in Brook county, West Virginia, Sept. 3, 1837, and passed from the scenes of earth to her long home on Feb. 1, 1917, aged 79 years, 4 months and 28 days. The family came from West Virginia to Illinois in 1854, locating in Fulton County.

On Jan 1, 1857, she united in marriage at Lewistown, Ill, with Samuel V. Portlock of Table Grove, who survives her. They located near Bardolph in 1866 and with the exception of a few years spent in Nebraska, have since resided in this vicinity. To them were born nine children, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood. Two of these Joshua L. Portlock and Mrs. Olive J. Jackson, preceded their mother in death. The living are J.W. Portlock and Mrs. Eva C. Wilcox of near Bardolph, Margaret A. Adkisson of Industry, Carrie M. Wilcox of Washington, Iowa, Nancy E. Wilcox of Chicago, Orville E. Portlock of Macomb, and Byron Scott Portlock at home. She also leaves twenty two grandchildren and sixteen great- grandchildren.

About forty-five years ago, under the ministry of Rev. James Ferguson, in the Bardolph M.E. church she was converted and united with the church. She has continued a faithful and beloved member and a consistent Christian through all the years since.

In her death Bardolph loses one of its oldest citizens, respected and beloved by all who knew her. The church loses a sister and mother in Israel whose life has been a steady and consistent example of the work of grace in the human heart in the midst of earth's trials and hardships. Her children and grandchildren mourn a patient, loving and faithful mother whose example and prayers will ever be cherished for good in our lives.

(Unknown newspaper, Feb. 1917, submitted by Diane Herd)

Back to top


Charles Fowler, Civil War Veteran, Dies at Daughter's Home

     Charles N. Fowler, only remaining prisoner of Andersonville during the Civil war in the county and one of the three left in the state, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. H. J. Stephens of 815 South First avenue, Saturday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock of acute uremia.
     Mr. Fowler enlisted in the Fourteenth Illinois cavalry at the beginning of the Civil war and during his service was confined in the famous Andersonville prison. He was in the prison during the time of what later has been termed the "miracle." He often told the story of the awful thirst which they endured, and of the shooting down of those who crossed the "dead line" for water. The only available water the men had for drinking was from a brackish, swamp-like pool covered with a thick, green scum, and prayer meetings were held for relief by the Christians confined within the prison.
     One night, when men were dying for thirst and several had been shot down for crossing the "line" a storm arose and after a horrific lightning and thunder storm, a spring of cool, gushing water burst forth within the prison yard walls. Mr. Fowler often told this story, and he said that in the thanksgiving services which followed this miracle, many of the prisoners were converted to Christianity. It was during his army service that Mr. Fowler received injuries that partially blinded him in later years.

Born in Peoria

     Charles N. Fowler was born on July 22, 1844, in Peoria. He was married to Mary Wineman on Jan. 11, 1868 at La Claire, Ia. Soon after this he moved to a farm near Canton, but for the past 30 years he has lived in Canton. Two daughters survive. They are Mrs. Hubert Stephens of this city and Mrs. L. F. Redfern of Dixon, Ill. There are also seven grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
     The funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the Messler Funeral Chapel, the Rev. L. H. Knight officiating. The casket will be opened at the chapel one hour before the time of the services. Burial will be in Greenwood cemetery. (Unknown paper and date, submitted by Dick Aten)

Back to top


Elmer Maxson of Canton May Be Fatally Injured; James Ford Dead.


Morning Train on T., P. & W Westward Bound Today. Strikes Automobile.

James Ford, residing in the Spoon River Valley, near White's Ferry, was instantly killed and Elmer Maxson, whose home is at the corner of Seventh Avenue and Spruce Street, Canton sustained injured from which he may die, when the automobile in which they were riding was struck by the westbound T., P. & W. passenger train at a crossing three miles west of Bushnell, about 10:30 o'clock this forenoon.

The accident happened at the second crossing west of Bushnell. At this point the track is low and the approach of the train is not easily discernable from the highway.
Ford and Maxson were coming from the north and were squarely across the railroad track when the train struck the car broadside. The machine was mutilated to such an extent that the name or number could not be determined.

Thrown On Pilot.

Both men were thrown onto the pilot of the engine and carried there until the engineer could bring his train to a stop. He immediately sprang out and found that Ford was dead and Maxson seriously injured. Passengers aided in carrying the dead and wounded back to the baggage coach and the train then backed to Bushnell where the body of Ford was turned over to an undertaker while Maxson was hurried to the Holmes Hospital in Macomb.

Maxson's injuries consist of a fracture of the right leg below the knee, severe cuts and bruises on the head and hips, and internal injuries in the abdomen. The internal injuries are deemed the most alarming by the surgeons in charge. Maxson, at a late hour this afternoon, was in a semi conscious condition and suffering so much from the shock that an operation was not attempted. There is little hope for his recovery. (Note: Elmer died on Oct. 7, 1917 and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery)

(Canton Daily Ledger, Oct. 4, 1917, submitted by Danni Hopkins)

Back to top

Mary Easley

Mary L. Easley, 76 of Las Vegas, Nev., formerly of Ipava, died Sunday, April 20, 2003, at Life Care Center in Las Vegas, Nev.
She was born Dec. 8, 1926, in Bushnell, the daughter of Carl H. and Irma B. (Coney) Rogers.

She married Otis "Tom" Easley on Oct 3, 1942, in Palmyra. He survives.

She was preceded in death by five sisters and one brother.

Other survivors include one daughter, Rose Etta Heffren of Bryant; and one son, Ronald E. Easley of Las Vegas, Nev.; six grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; four step-great-grandchildren; one brother, Wayne Rogers of Monmoth, Ark.; and two sisters, Marjorie Thompson of Lewistown and Beatrice Fewkes of Table Grove.

She was a homemaker.

A memorial service will be held on Saturday, June 28 at the Ipava American Legion from 1-4 pm. Cremation has been accorded. Shawgo Memorial Home in Ipava is in charge of the services.
Memorials may be made to Ipava Fire Department.

(The Rushville Times, Wednesday, June 4, 2003, page 3B, column 2, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top

CANTON--Jared Franklin "Mutt" Ellis, 52, of 210 W. Myrtle St. died at 10:05 a.m. Monday, Aug. 31, 1998, at his home.

Born Oct. 22, 1945, in Monterey to John Franklin and Zelma Fidler Ellis, he married Ruth Salisbury.

Surviving are his parents of Monterey; one son, Timothy of Canton; one daughter, Kimberly Ellis of Canton; and five brothers, Monte of Banner, Lonnie of Dallas, Larry of Columbia, S.C., Fred of Pawnee and Jon of Rochester.

He was an electrician at International Harvester for 10 years and worked in maintenance for the Illinois Department of Conservation at Rice Lake for 10 years. He was a spokesman for St. Jude Midwest Affiliate in Peoria and a member of Canton Booster club.

Graveside services will be at 1 a.m. Thursday at Walnut Cemetery in Banner. The Rev. Rusty Beals will officiate. Visitation will be form 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Murhpy-Sedgwick Memorial Home, Canton.

Memorials may be made to the Timothy and Kimberly Ellis college funds in care of Norwest Bank, Canton.

(Journal Star, Peoria Ill., September 1, 1998, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top


MONTEREY--John Franklin "Hump" Ellis, 90, of 26235 E. Monterey Road died at 4:05 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 10, 2004, at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria.

Born Nov. 23, 1913, in Banner Township to James and Abbie Courtney Ellis, he married Zelma V. Fidler on Oct. 1, 1938, in Burlington, Iowa. She died Dec. 26, 2003.

He also was preceded in death by two sisters, one brother and one son, Jared.

Surviving are five sons, Monte (and Sharyl) of Banner, Larry (and Edna) of Columbia, S. C., Jon (and Lori) of Rochester, Lonnie (and Mona) of Fort Worth, Texas, and Fred (and Kathy) of Pawnee, two sisters, Betty Johnson of Sidell, La., and Shirley Eddy of Harlingen, Texas; 15 grand-children; and 10 great-grandchildren.

He was the road commissioner for Banner Township during the Great Depression. He later worked at Caterpillar Inc. in the apprentice program in 1938, graduating the program in 1942 as a machinist.

He retired in 1970. He also was a commercial fisherman.

He was a member of Canton Loyal Order of the Moose Lodge 784 and the Canton Elks Lodge 826.

He was a member of Monterey United Methodist Church.

Services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Oaks-Hines Funeral Home in Canton. The Rev. Rick Atchley will officiate. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home. Burial will be in Walnut Cemetery in rural Banner.

Memorials may be made to the St. Jude Midwest Affiliate or St. Francis Hospice.

(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top


CANTON--Zelma V. Ellis, 97, of 26235 E. Monterey Road died at 6:40 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 28, 2003, at Graham Hospital.

Born Nov. 4, 1916, in Banner to Ernie and Nellie (Hukill) Fidler, she married John Ellis on Oct. 1, 1938, in Burlington, Iowa. He survives.

Also surviving are five sons, Monte (and Sharyl) of Banner,Lonnie (and Mona) of Aledo, Texas, Larry (and Edna) of Columbia, S. C., Fred (and Kathy) of Pawnee and Jon of Rochester, 14 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by one son, Jared, and one brother.

She was a member of the Royal Neighbors of America in Banner.

She was of the Methodist faith.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at Murphy-Sedgwick Memorial Home. The Rev. Rusty Beales will officiate. Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday at the memorial home. Burial will be in Walnut Cemetery in Walnut.

Memorials may be made to St. Jude.

(Journal Star, Peoria Ill., Dec 29, 2003, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top

BANNER--Dewey J. Fidler, 78, of Banner died at 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 1, 1995, at Renaissance Care Center in Canton.

Born Sept. 17, 1918, in Fulton county to G. Hobart and Barbara J. Grissom Fidler, he married Vada M. Ashby on Nov. 2, 1935, in Pekin. She died Feb. 10, 1992. He was also preceded in death by three brothers and one sister.

Surviving are two sons, Gerald D. and John G. "Peachie," both of Canton; two daughters, Mrs. James (Dixie) Reed of Canton and Mrs. John (Valerie) Benge of Fairview, Tenn.; nine grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren; one brother, Delbert of rural Cuba; and two sisters, Mrs. Dean (Lila) Huff of Lewistown and Mrs. Al (Lois) Hess of Canton.

He was an employee of International Harvester Co. for 39 years, where he was a machine repairman and group leader. He retired in 1975.

He was co-founder of the Copperas Creek Fire Protection District Banner Unit. He was a life member of Lancaster Masonic Lodge 106, AF&AM in Glasford.

He was a World War II veteran.

He also was a member of Banner United Methodist Church.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Murphy-Sedgwick Memorial Home in Canton. Visitation will be form 6 to 8 tonight at the funeral home, with Masonic rites at 7:45 p.m. Burial will be in Walnut Cemetery in rural Banner.

Memorials may be made to the Copperas Creek Fire Protection District Banner Unit.

(Journal Star, Peoria Ill., August 3, 1995, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top


George W. Fidler, well known groceryman, and lie long resident of Banner died yesterday morning at 2:30 o'clock at his home following an illness of four months.

He was born in Fulton county on April 22, 1861 a son of George and Dorthnia (Williams) Fidler.

He was married to Lillian Orten on Oct. 5, 1902 at Banner and his wife and their son, William Earl with three grandchildren survive.

W. D. Fidler of Banner and Mrs. Eda Creek and Mrs. Marion Creek both of Canton are brothers and sisters living.

He was a member of the Banner camp of the M. W. A.

The funeral services will be held at the Banner church on Tuesday afternoon at 1 o'clock, the Rev. N. Weller officiating.

(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top


CANTON--Hester Fidler, 87, of Branson, Mo., formerly of the Canton area, died at 2:20 p.m. Sunday, June 13, 2004, at Skaggs Hospital in Branson.

Born April 9, 1917, in Fulton County to Roy and Lela Link Williams, she married Raymond "Lyle" Fidler on May 25, 1935. He died Aug. 18, 1996.

She also was preceded in death by one brother, two half brothers, one sister and one stepsister.

Surviving are two daughters, Sandra (and Dwayne) Mason and Sharon (and Charles) Lawver, both of Branson; four grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

She was a member of Monterey United Methodist Church in Canton.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Murphy-Sedgwick Memorial Home, where visitation will be one hour before. The Rev. Rick Atchley will officiate. Burial will be in Walnut Cemetery in Banner.

Memorials may be made to her church or to Christian Senior Ministries, PO. Box 142, Cape Fair, Mo. 65624.

(Journal Star, Peoria Ill., September 13, 1995, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top

CANTON--Raymond "Lyle" Fidler, 81, of 299 Brable Lane, Branson, Mo., formerly of Canton, died at 12:46 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 18, 1996, at Skaggs Community Hospital in Branson.

Born Dec. 29, 1914, in Banner To William Ernie and Nellie Hukill Fidler, he married Hester Williams on May 25, 1935, in Lewistown. She survives.

Also surviving are two daughters, Sandra Mason and Sharon Lawver, both of Branson; one sister, Zelma Ellis of Monterey; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. One infant son preceded him in death.

He worked at Caterpillar Inc. for 31 years and farmed in the Banner area for many years.

He was a member of Lancaster Masonic Lodge 106, AF&AM, in Glasford since 1943 and was a Mason for 53 years. He was a member of Scottish Rite Bodies, Valley of Peoria.
He was a member of Monterey United Methodist Church in Monterey.

Services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Murphy-Sedgwick Memorial Home in Canton. The Rev. Jim Jenkins will officiate. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m.

Burial will be in Walnut Cemetery in Banner.

Memorials may be made to his church, the American Heart Association or any charity.

(Journal Star, Peoria Ill., August 21, 1996, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top

BANNER--Vada M. Fidler, 73, of Banner died at 2:12 a.m. Monday, Feb. 10, 1992, at Graham Hospital in Canton.

Born Sept. 1, 1918, in Breeds to John and Hattie Pryor Ashby, she was raised by her father and stepmother, John and Elvina Shinnefield. She married Dewey Fidler on Nov. 2, 1935, in Pekin. He survives.

Also surviving are two sons, Gerald and John "Peachie," both of Canton; two daughters, Dixie Reed of Canton and Valerie Benge of Fairview, Tenn.; nine grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and one brother, Vaugh Ashby of Canton. She was preceded in death by two sisters.

She was a cashier at Graham Hospital and a member of Order of Easter Star Chapter 413 in Glasford.

Services will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Murphy-Sedgwick Memorial Home in Canton. The Rev. Lawrence Mason will officiate. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 tonight at the memorial home, with Order of Eastern Star services at 6:30. Burial will be in Walnut Cemetery in Banner.

Memorials may be made to the Copperas Creek Banner Unit Fire District.

(Journal Star, Peoria Ill., February 11, 1992, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top

CANTON - Chauncey Lewis Fuller, 80, of 55 Cypress, Apt. 503, formerly of Banner, died at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at Graham Hospital.

Born Dec. 5, 1921, in Banner to Clark E. and Mary Grace Fidler Fuller, he married Norma Jean Oldham.

He later married Robetta D. Empson on Jan. 27, 1951, in Peoria. She died Aug. 9, 1985.

He also was preceded in death by one son, Larry; one daughter, Judy Bartlett; one grandson; four brothers and one sister.

Surviving are three sons, Gary.............

(Journal Star, Peoria Ill., June 12, 2002, submitted by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top


William M. Eggleston, an Old Employe and Former Superintendent of the Plow Shops.


Industrious and Competent Worker
--Plow Shops Will be Closed at Time of Funeral

William M. Eggleston died at 2:30 o’clock Wednesday afternoon, at his home, 253 East Locust street, after about seven weeks’ illness. Death was due to an attack of bladder trouble, from which Mr. Eggleston was unable to rally, owing to a generally weakened constitution, the result of many years of continuous application to business.

Mr. Eggleston was born Nov. 19, 1831, in Essex county, N. y., and came to Illinois when quite a young man, locating first at Springfield, and coming to Canton a few years later, where he was employed as a carpenter by the late John Bailey for several years. In June 1864 he became an employe in the plowshops, and in July, 1877, he was appointed superintendent of the factory, from which position he retired in May, 1900, continuing, however, until the time of his death, in the employment of the company, to the service of which his energy and ability had been devoted for 41 years.

Mr. Eggleston was married Dec. 22, 1853, to Miss Sarah M. Rowlty [Rowley], of Canton, who died Sept. 8, 1885. About two years later he married Miss Isabel Miller, of Springfield, who survives.
By his first marriage Mr. Eggleston had a family of six children, five of whom are living. They are Charles L., William O. and Edgar A. Eggleston and Mrs. John Walling, of Canton, and George H. Eggleston, of Homer, Ill. One child died in infancy. By the second marriage there were no children.

Edgar Eggleston, of Springfield, and Moses Eggleston, of Pekin, are brothers of the deceased, and one sister—Mrs. Lydia Johnson—resides in Mt. Pulaski.

The funeral will be held at the home at 10 o’clock Saturday morning, and will be in charge of the Workmen lodge of which Mr. Eggleston was a member.

The plowshop will be closed for the day to give the employes an opportunity to attend the funeral.

The casket will be opened at the house from 8:30 to 9:30 o’clock Saturday morning.

Interment will be in Greenwood cemetery.

(CANTON WEEKLY REGISTER, Aug. 17, 1905, transcribed by Danni Hopkins)

From the Murphy-Sedgwick Funeral Home records: Eggleston, Sarah H. d Sept 7, 1885, age 50-7-13; bur Sept 9, 1885 Greenwood Cemetery in Canton, Il.

Eggleston, William M.- d Aug. 16, 1905, age 73-8-27; bur Aug 19, 1905 Greenwood Cemetery in Canton, Il. 

Back to top


Edward Foster Killed at Kingston by Explosion of Charge Monday Morning

These particulars of a fatal accident in the coal mine at Kingston, on Monday, are given in the Peoria Herald-Transcript of Tuesday morning”
The drilling out of a shot which had failed to explode at the proper time, one of the most dangerous tasks which confront a miner, was responsible for the death of Edward Foster in the Kingston mine at 9 o’clock yesterday morning. Death was instantaneous, the upper part of the man’s skull being blown off by the force of the blast.
According to the system in vogue at the mine, the miner placed a number of shots Saturday afternoon and when they quit work for the day the fuses attached to the shots were ignited. For some reason the fuse attached to one of the shots failed to ignite and the blast did not explode. Yesterday morning, when the miners went to work, it was discovered that this particular shot had not exploded.
Foster and two other miners began to remove this shot by drilling a hole within an inch of where the powder had been placed. It may have been the force of the blows of the hammer, as the hole was drilled, or it may be that a spark ignited the powder. At any rate, the shot suddenly and without warning exploded. Foster was nearest the blast and the top of his skull was torn off. One of the other miners was slightly injured.

(CANTON WEEKLY REGISTER, Aug. 25, 1904, submitted by Janine Crandell, transcribed by Danni Hopkins) 

Back to top


Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Fulton County Home Page

Copyright © Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved