Fulton County Ledger
May 14, 1885

Transcribed by Judy Churchill.


Riley Kimbell, some time since adjudged insane and sent to Kankakee asylum, died at that place this week. His brother James, in answer to a telegram announcing his dangerous illness, started for that place Tuesday, but would not reach there before his death.

John Kinsey, a nephew of James Thomas, of Georgetown, PA., is here to spend the summer.

Died, on Monday, the 27th inst., of consumption, Mrs. Clara Reed, daughter of T. M. and Lizzie Mercer, aged 20 years. Mrs. Reed was a native of this place and had a large circle of relatives and friends here. When she was quite small her parents moved to Astoria, where she received her education and spent her happy youthful days. A few weeks ago she came here on a visit to her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hamer, and was taken down with the sickness. She was buried in the Astoria Cemetery on Tuesday.

Married, by H. S. Jacob, Esq., at the residence of the bride’s parents, on Thursday, the 23d of April, George W. Rishel and Olive V., daughter of John and Dianna Derry.

Body Found. April 17th ult. Robert McCallum, employed on the steamer “Joseph Fleming,” on the Illinois River, fell from a barge which was in tow of the steamer, a few miles above Copperas Creek and was drowned. Capt. Stedman, of the steamer, offered $50 reward for the body. Joseph Schelling and Victor Manier, while fishing on Thursday last, found the body in Murry Lake, three miles above the Lock, it having come to the top of the water. The steamer soon came along on another trip, and on being hailed, Capt. Stedman recognized it as his lost man. The body was towed to Copperas Creek, and tied there until a coroner could be summoned. A. J. McQuaid was at the river and he came to Canton and sent Esq. Armstrong to hold an inquest. The verdict of the jury was in accordance with the evidence. On the body were found $219.71 in money, a note for $300, a certificate for over $600 and a silver watch and chain. His parents reside at Prince Edwards Island, Canada. He was about 28 years old. W. A. Kellogg and John Yonkers, who had known him for years, were on the boat with him. The valuables were turned over to Yonkers, to be delivered to his friends. They paid expenses and buried the remains at Utica. No one saw him fall from the barge.





* Hiram Groover, Emma McColloch
* Isaac F. Edwards, Jossie L. Tappin
* Elmer F. Miller, Amanda Runion


* We understand Samuel Ray, who was shot by J. Burleigh, continues to improve, but very slowly.

* J. S. Burton has opened a tea and grocery store I Wyman Block. He makes a specialty of choice teas, at very low prices.

* Frank Morgart is lying very low with blood-poisoning and dropsy, caused by an injury he received while at work at the plow shops, about April 1st.

* Fulton County has scored one. Joseph Kreidler has been appointed postmaster at Babylon. The office probably pays a salary of $15 or $20 a year.






Wm. Savill, formerly of Canton, is president of the Board of Trustees of Astoria.

W. H. Powers, well known to many Fulton County people, has moved from Galesburg to Peoria and will act as organist in the Hale Chapel M. E. Church.

James W. Burton spent several days of last week with his parents in Canton.

Hank Blair, Tuesday afternoon purchased a ticket for Albuquerque, New Mexico, and left for the place by the 4:20 PM train.

Frank B. Head left Canton last evening, by C. B. & O road, for Colorado. He goes to join James Gallagher on a large cattle ranch, to rough it this summer, with the hope of improving his health, which has not been good for some months.

Mrs. Provine, of Vermont, a sister of Mrs. Rothman, was with her when she died.




David T. Smith and family have for months occupied an old house on Prairie Street, immediately north of the building occupied by Thomas Rowley as a livery stable. One of the family is Amy Hoffman, step-daughter of Smith, aged about 14 years. For some time it has been reported that the girl was pregnant, and physicians who were consulted by the mother of the girl told her this was probably the condition of the child. Both mother and daughter denied this.

Saturday morning last Dr. Harris was called in and found the girl about to be confined. After an examination he left, directing that he be sent for when his services were needed. Dr. Grimshaw was also called in. Neither of them were again sent for. But late in the after noon, from reports made to them by Mrs. Smith, they suspicioned something wrong, and the two went together to Smith’s house, where they found Amy in bed and satisfied themselves that a child had been born.

A portion of the matter was shown them by Mrs. Smith, which she said Amy had discharged. They told her that was not all—that there was a child, and demanded to know what had been down with it. Both mother and daughter indignantly denied the accusation.

Monday morning Mrs. Smith was arrested on the charge of murder, in having made way with an infant, the child of her daughter. Tuesday morning an examination was had before Esq. Armstrong. The evidence of the physicians and offers elicited what we have given and much not fit to be given here.

There was positive evidence that Amy Hoffman, the daughter of Mrs. Smith, was on Saturday last delivered of a child. But what became of that child was not proven. It was not proven whether the child was born dead or alive; that if born alive, it was then dead and if dead, that Mrs. Smith killed it or knew it was killed; nor was it proven that she was at home when it was born, as the time of the birth was not proven and during the day she was absent probably most of the time, working at a neighbor’s. The physicians think the child was probably born alive. Whether it was dead or living when the woman was arrested, or is dead or living now, is not known. What became of it is not known; but it is thought that probably the father of the child (unknown) or some one interested, was on hand and took it away, either destroying it or hiding it. The premises and vicinity were thoroughly searched, but no clue to the infant found there.

Infanticide is one of the greatest crimes known to our statute books; and it is hoped, if a crime has been committed, the perpetrators will be ferreted out and punished.





From Banner, May 11, 1885

Died, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. John Hornstein, on Monday, April 27th, Mrs. M. P. Raymond, aged 85 years and 4 months. Her remains were taken to Peoria for interment at Springdale Cemetery.

Mrs. Raymond was born in Ireland and came with her husband to Peoria in 1835. After the death of her husband in 1856 she came to Canton, since which time she has lived with her daughters, Mrs. Louisa McCall, Mrs. Hornstein and Miss M. P. Raymond and at intervals with Mrs. Anna Downer, Dubuque. The latter daughter having, since the death of her mother, lost a son of promise, Charles Downer, who was a great favorite with his grandmother.

Mrs. Raymond was a woman of strong individuality of character, and hence must leave an impression on the community in which she lived.

She united with the Episcopal Church at 14years of age. Loving service was the inspiration of her life. To enrich others by her love, her sympathy and her worldly means, bestowed in the most unostentatious way, was her daily delight. Her Christianity was the type which “looks not on one’s own things, but on the things of others.” The “mind of Christ,” was in this womanly woman and worked out in her deeds. Her children remember her for this blessed service and copy her spirit by their kindly offices for the needy. For her constant attendance upon the services of the sanctuary she was an example to the rising generation. Her four score and five years brought with them many infirmities, yet to the last, “a day in God’s courts was better than a thousand.” Her seat is vacant now, but she yet spiked to us all from the upper sanctuary, where, we trust, she is enjoying the presence of her Lord, whom she delighted to honor while on earth.






Deerfield, May 11, 1885

C. Blout is teaching the Hipple School in Joshua.

Jodie Cox met with a fearful accident last Thursday, being kicked by a horse cutting a fearful gash in his face and fracturing the skull. Dr. Brick, of Ellisville, dressed the wounds and Mr. C. is doing finely at present.

John Rockhold came very near losing a fine colt by it getting off the ferry boat.

Mrs. Zilch is improving and is able to be up and walk about.

Mrs. Hattie Dawson, wife of Samuel Dawson, of Macomb, committed suicide on the 25th. Ult. By shooting herself near the heart with a revolver. She fired two shots, the balls entering near each other. She had been in ill health for some weeks, causing her to become melancholy. The Macomb papers say Mrs. Dawson had undoubtedly been meditating suicide for three or four weeks. She was the daughter of Samuel Frost, of McDonough County.


From Deerfield
Blyton, Ill., May 12, 1885
Editor Ledger:

D. W. Vittum, Jr., sold a team of horses to Hardy Churchill and another team to Mr. Giberson.

Mrs. Adam Zilch, who has been confined to the house with a broken limb, is at this time getting along finely.

Jodie Cox, who was kicked by a horse on Thursday last, is at this time some better. This is a lesson to all to be more careful in handling young horses.





Fairview Jots
Fairview, ILL., May 5, 1885

Married, April 30, 1885, at Farmington, by the Rev. Buckey, Mr. Will Hedding to Miss Mary L. Eldrot, of Fairview. They expect to make their future home near Decatur.

Mrs. Gould and her brother-in-law and wife, of St. Louis, are visiting at T. H. Travers.

Mrs. H. F. Hilpot and Mrs. Moore expect to start to New Jersey tomorrow morning.

John Spiss, Jr., of Cuba, is visiting his parents this week.

Ed. Tennis returned home this evening from Peoria, to visit friends.


There is considerable sickness in Fairview and vicinity.

Mrs. S. T. Wyckoff is seriously ill at this time.

Mrs. Peter Van Doren, who has been very sick, is improving slowly.

J. W. Prouty has sold his stock of drugs to Willis Voorhees. Mr. Prouty and wife will return to Roseville this week.

Wm. Stines and Tip Bird had a run-away yesterday. Mr. Stines was thrown out of the wagon and considerable bruised.






From Ipava
Ipava, Ill., May 12, 1885

Joseph Murr, of Havana, was in town over Sunday.

Wm. Bostaph, of Gallatin, Mo., is visiting friends here.

Uncle John C. Howell is on the sick list.

Mrs. Engle is visiting friends at Table Grove for a few days.

Isaac Thompson has been re-appointed police constable for four years.


Isaac Middletown has been retained as night watch for another year.

Uncle Charles Trickey is lying in a very critical condition.

Mrs. S. P. Marshall and daughter Mamie have returned from their visit with Mrs. Barrows, of Jacksonville.

Dr. Wedge was in Bryant last Friday.

Thomas and Alexander Matthews, of Oregon, are visiting their brother William, after an absence of thirty years.

Elmer Meredith, of Canton, was here last Saturday.

Mrs. Charles Culver, of Beardstown, was in town visiting friends.

Dr. C. C. Cooper, of Havana, was visiting friends in this vicinity last week.

Eli Conn and Miss Fair, of Vermont, were married last Thursday.

Reese Davie is building a cattle-shed 24 x 40 feet.

E. D. Tuthill and wife spent Monday and Tuesday in Peoria, purchasing good.

S. E. Carlin was called to Lewistown to attend county court.






From Joshua
Joshua, May 6, 1885

Mrs. John Otto is visiting her sister, Mrs. Standard, at Lewistown this week.

Henry Ellis has a fine cow that has two calves.

From Joshua
Joshua, May 12, 1885

Miss Mary Crowl visited friends at Blyton Saturday night and Sunday last.

Thomas Hargis, who is stopping with E. Feeser, visited his sister at Cuba last Sunday.

Mrs. J. L. Miller returned to her home Monday from Hamilton, where she has been receiving medical treatment for three months with but very little benefit.

Mr. Mangrum, from Bryant, visited his daughter, Mrs. Noah Myers, Saturday and Sunday.

Mrs. Andrews is visiting her parents in Canton this week.

B. F. Miller and wife, of Canton, visited his mother Sunday.

Mrs. Loftley, of Canton, visited her son George, whose family recently arrived from the old country, and are now residents of Joshua.

Mr. George Trites house came near burning Monday morning; supposed to have caught from the flue and made quite a hole in the roof.





From Marietta
Marietta, Ill, May 12, 1885

One night last week someone crept into the residence of Major Buley and relieved him of his pants and pocketbook containing $12.

D. E. Hale’s wife is dangerously sick.

James Warren will occupy the section house this summer.

Mrs. Lavina McIntyre had a public sale of her household goods last Saturday. H. Foster auctioneer.

Married at the residence of Joseph Jackson, April 30, by L. M. Donnely, Esq., Mr. Scott Ray and Miss Sue Jackson.






From Smithfield
Smithfield, Ill., May 5, 1885

John A. Walters, Esq., today received his commission as Justice of the Peace, and is now ready for business.

Mrs. John A. Walters is sick with erysipelas.

Jesse Camron is sick.

David Landes has received his commission as P. M., and is now running the post office.

Thomas Cannon, a brother of Esq. John Cannon, is building a new house in the south part of town. Thomas lately got his back pension.

Charlie Howard is down with the measles.

Several of the family of Peleg Varnold have the measles.

George Dick has put up a neat board fence in front of his lot.







Major Barnes, of Bushnell, was in Canton over Sunday.

Ex-Attorney General McCartney, wife and two sons, of Springfield, visited Mr. McCartney’s daughter and family in Canton, the past week.

Mrs. Edgar Bredwell, of Missouri, is visiting relatives in Canton.

Lawyer Campbell, editor of the Fair Play, Astoria, has gone to his relatives in Michigan. He is very low from consumption, and undoubtedly will never return to Illinois.

Mrs. W. P. Kellogg and niece are now at her mother’s in Canton.

E. R. Magie, of Indianapolis, was in Canton this week.

Nettie Goddard, one of the corps of Canton teachers, goes this week to Elmwood to visit there and will from there go to Kansas, to spend her vacation with her parents in that state.

Rev. P. A. Cool, wife and daughter, of Galva, Ill., were visiting in Canton the forepart of this week.

Mrs. Barracklow, of Coffeyville, Kansas, is visiting her brother in Canton, Mr. Charles W. Kent.

Mrs. R. W. Dewey Jr., and Mrs. Geo. Brinkerhoff left yesterday morning for Chicago, where they will stay a few days, and from there will go to Indiana to visit friends.

B. F. Morgart, whose death was for several weeks thought to be inevitable, is now reported to be much better. The dropsy has left him, the wounds on his limbs, where the skin bursted and discharge, have healed and the poison is about removed from his system. But there is now danger of consumption.

Hon. Meredith Walker, of Atlantic, Iowa, is in the city today.

D. G. Havermale started this morning for Benton County, Iowa, on business. G. W. Cline’s children went in charge of him as far as West Liberty, Iowa, where they will spend the summer with their aunts.

J. K. Davison, of Logan, Iowa, arrived at Canton this morning.


 Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Fulton County Home Page

Copyright © Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved
Updated April 6, 2007